Loosing schematic library symbols

Guys I have trying for a week now to get going with KiCAD and I am completely frustrated.
I starting to regret moving to KiCAD.
Every time I start KiCAD, I loose all the schematic symbols I created.
I am not sure if it is related to the Windows October update that changes all files to read only, which is impossible to correct. You can do whatever you like, all the files stay read only.

can you change permissions recursively for the pretty directories etc ?

Thanks for your response, but I do not know how to do that, can you please explain a bot more

Have you read Library management in KiCad version 5 and Creating a new symbol library and a new symbol in KiCad 5 ?

At least you shouldn’t add your own symbols to the KiCad’s own library, you should create a new library in a location which you can write to.

Yes, I created a new library using the “Add Library” option.

The KiCad libraries that are installed are ‘read only’ by design. If you create your own assets, you need to put them in your own library where you have write access. See the FAQ section Library management in KiCad version 5
Overwriting the libraries that are supplied with KiCad with your own version is not a good idea. These will be overwritten if you do an upgrade and you custom assets will be lost.

When KiCad asked, did you add the new library to the project or globally? If you added it to the project only, it has to be added to other projects explicitly afterwards or it has to be added globally afterwards.

Does “loosing” mean you don’t find them anymore through KiCad? Are they still in the file system, readable?

Thanks for the answer, but yes I created my own library.
I created it in the same directory as the project, could that be the problem?

go to the folders’ properties and change the read/write permissions

Does not work, I have tried that and I change the folder properties, but when I open it again it remains read only. This seems to be a problem with the October update for Windows.

No, but if you added the library to the Project only, not Globally, it’s not seen in other projects. Do you still see it in that same project?

They are gone, the library and the symbols are gone. The library file I created is still in the directory, but it cannot be read. I have tried creating a new library and adding the symbols, but the same result every time.

No its gone, nowhere to be found

I don’t think it has anything to do with KiCad. KiCad doesn’t change files read-only.

So it’s not even read-only?

The files are read-only, and cannot be changed in any way. I have tried the solutions posted by Microsoft but it does not work.

Sorry I mean I cannot open the files via KiCAD.

What does it say when you try to open them inside the footprint/symbol editor?

When I try to safe the schematic, I get this error:

are you able to create an entirely new symbol in a new library?

Yes, that is what I have been doing, but same result every time.
When I close KiCAD and open it again, the symbols are gone.