Looking for Tutorial and support

Greetings from St Louis Missouri

I’m new to KiCad. I have a small schematic and PCB that was laid out by somebody else before me. I need to change it from classic DIP to surface mount.

Are they any tutorials you recommend that will teach me how to layout a simple small PCB ?

I’m also looking for somebody that might want to give me private direct support on the phone?

Dan
Software Hardware engineer St Louis Missouri

Here’s one that I made: https://contextualelectronics.com/getting-to-blinky-4-0/

As for direct support, I do that via my course if you’re interested (via skype): https://contextualelectronics.com/product/weekly-tutoring/

[quote=“binarystlman, post:1, topic:6454”]
I’m new to KiCad. I have a small schematic and PCB that was laid out by somebody else before me. I need to change it from classic DIP to surface mount. [/quote]
If you have a thru-hole board that is truly performing well, and “change it from classic DIP to surface mount” is an accurate description of the task, it shouldn’t be too difficult. SMT components are usually smaller than their THD counterparts, so it’s almost always safe to substitute SMD for THD, make minor adjustments to trace routings, and accept a layout with a lot of elbow room around all the components. The problems start when somebody says, “And while you’re at it, find a substitute for this obsolete part.”, or “And make the board half its size.”, or “And add this new feature to the board.”.

Do you ever get out to the Chesterfield area? Send a private message to me.

Dale

Hi Dale
Thanks for the reply. You said to contact you privately. Im new here and have not figure out how to do that.
You don’t read “HeathKit” much anymore. I grew up in Bridgeton MO. Rode my bike to Heathkit. Was into Ham and CB Radio growing up. I became a self employed software / hardware engineer.
I have lived in south county / Sunset Hills area the past 20 years. Most of my work was software. I made one telcom circuit board in the mid 1990s using Tango Schematic. I used C&C industries to make the board.
I had an older friend that loved KiCad and highly recommended it before he passed away 6 months.

You have some new mail.

Dale