Looking for older KiCad version from 2014 to match my file

This is my file date & version:

PCBNEW-BOARD Version 1 date 4/28/2014 11:29:34 PM

Created by Pcbnew(2012-01-19 BZR 3256)-stable

I don’t see this version in the list of previous versions on the KiCad Info site. Can someone please tell me if this version still exists and how to access it? Or as an alternative, which version on the list is closest to my file date? The dates on the KiCad list are all from 2019??

Looks like you can download very old versions at https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/index.html?prefix=archive/old_versions/

I also found downloads for your version 2012-01-19 BZR 3256:
https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/archive/old_versions/KiCad-2012-01-19-BZR3256-stable-Win_full_with_components_doc_install.exe
https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/archive/old_versions/kicad-2012-01-19-BZR3256-stable-UBUNTU_10.10_full_with_components_doc.tgz

Good luck!

1 Like

Do you really need to keep compatible with that old KiCad version?
As far as I know a modern KiCad should always be able to open and remap projects from older KiCad versions, but some fiddling with settings for libraries etc may be required, so just to be carefull: make a backup and/or do the remapping on a copy of the old project.

There have been multiple similar threads on this forum, so you can search this forum for more info.
A good place to start reading is in:

Hmm, if you actually try it, it’s not as easy as it sounds. Expect a LOT of fiddling with libraries. In particular, if you don’t have the original libraries, then you end up reworking the whole design. Yes, the footprints may be in the PCB file, but they are largely incompatible with modern symbols. I think very old versions of KiCad didn’t store footprints in the PCB file either (before PCBnew went s-expression).

With practice and detailed knowledge of KiCad internals it becomes easier, but still takes significant effort for a non-trivial project.

So for an old project that requires some minor rework, it is much easier to just run it in an old version. Only if you expect to do major rework, or plan to do future maintenance is it worth spending the time to upgrade to latest version.

As long as there is a cache library no fiddling should be needed. The rescue dialog will get your project up and running again.

That is incorrect. Footprints were part of the PCB file long before v4. (I always assumed the same until we had a bug report about importing such an old file here and i looked into the file itself only to discover that there were indeed footprints stored in it. I think the reason why the symbols were not handled the same is because the schematic can be split into multiple files.) Here an example of such a brd file with footprints defined https://github.com/leoheck/kicad-library-1/blob/bc2bb7d412601e24c1af220f8f23e3e3fcaf22c8/modules/led.brd#L321

To answer the general question: One might be best of to convert the project first to version 4 with the tutorials that are from back then. And only then convert from v4 to v5. (One can of course try and skip v4 but i guess that there will be some surprises waiting.)

1 Like

I know you like to be right about everything Rene and disagree with me at every opportunity, but you are totally off the mark on this.

Not true. From experience, not theory.

Also wrong. I said “very old”. The s-expression format hasn’t always existed.

I am speaking from practical experience with converting old projects. Ignore that if you wish, but I am not wrong.

I linked a non s-format file above (same version number as OP) which clearly holds footprints :wink: Which means OPs file should hold the footprint data, unless old KiCad versions used the same version number for differing file versions.

I could however imagine that there are bugs in reading such old files and that the footprints are not correctly recovered.

If it’s just one-shot open/review, then installing the Kicad 3 would be the easiest/fastest way.
Migration of projects from V3 to V4 was not trivial, there were some pitfalls ahead.
If the project is supposed to be brought to live again, then the only reasonable option would be to convert it to current version.

This is perfect. Thank you very, very much for your answer. And thanks to all for the disclaimers & advice!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.