Local labels within buses

Hi,

I am doing a project where I have several instances of an identical section in the schematic. Controller 1, 2, 3.

Is there a way to keep label scope within the bus? I was trying to avoid having to rename each wire to:
FX1_1, FX1_2, FX1_3, … FX1_N.

When I click in the signal, all are connected within each other if I call them just FX1.

I don’t really see the practical use of a bus if this can’t be done. It just help visually but that’s it.

Any idea on how to solve it ?

In KiCad V5.1.x bus entries are just local labels, and the blue bus lines are mostly cosmetic. Busses just are not very sophisticated in KiCad V5.1.x. (In KiCad-nightly V5.99 the meaning of busses has been extended).

So there is currently no way to:

With a bit of inenuity and the use of auto increment during repeat and block copy, rotate and mirroring this can be done quite quickly though with:

1. Draw a horizontal wire in an empty area, about 12 grid points long.
  2. Press & hold [Ins] key to make a bunch of these wires.
  3. Place a label “FX1_1” on the topmost wire.
  4. Press & hold [Ins] key again to insert more labels (with auto increment). It’s preferable to make too many, then not enough.
  5. Drag a box around the labels and wires, just as much as you need. Then [Ctrl + C], [Ctrl + V] to copy & Paste.
  6. You can also add the slanted bus entries in this way.
  7. Place the copied block (which is now attached to the cursor) to it’s final destination.
  8. Repeat steps 5 & 6 for other IC’s that have these signals.

I sometimes use the area outside the “drawing paper” as a scratch pad to make such blocks, make some notes, and (temporarily) park schematic parts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.