Loading a 3dm file

I am trying to load the 3d model from here below.
https://grabcad.com/library/3-5mm-audiosockel-pj-321b-1

This is in 2 parts. One step file that load correctly. However the 3dm file does not load at all. I can select it in “3d Settings” but the model does not show in the viewer.

How do I convert this 3dm file into a step one?

To me it just looks like it is the same model in 3 different file formats. A .jpg picture, a .3dm file and a .step file.

If you look closer you will find the step files contains just the metal parts with contacts and the 3dm files contains only the plastic body.

Nope, not true.
I have some trouble viewing the .3DM file, because it’s a mostly black blob from almost any viewing angle, but the part that is highlighted by the mouse cursor is a metal pin.

I did see that the .step file only showed the metal internals, but made the assumption that this was some quirck of the online viewer. Maybe it’s from sloppy file generation or export. The .step model also appears to me missing some faces. .step files are genarally exported to interchange with different programs, and not used as the native format of CAD programs.

KiCad itself only supports .step and .wrl files. .3dm seems to be a fairly open standard: https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=.3dm+file+extension Maybe you can find a converter somewhere.

the STEP has 3 objects, two represent the metal portions (retainment and contact) the 3rd… is blank so I guess something went wrong with the STEP export prior to uploading

True. Kicad just load the metal part of it.
As Paul mentioned the only option might be to open the source file (3dm) and re-export to step.
arf… never heard of rhinoceros before.

its not that Kicad won’t load the “plastic part”, no STEP viewer is… something went wrong when this STEP was generated

Maybe you can contact the maker of that 3D model. He probably did not check the .step file carefully, maybe he did not make it at all and it was generated by some autmated script on the grabcad website itself.

Someone provides a sldptr file in the comments. I’ve used that to produce a new step file that works now.

Thanks for your help all.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.