Lm2596 Step Down Module Dc-Dc Buck Converter Power Supply

Hey guys, I have one query.Please do help to clear that. Before that, I want to make you clear that I am very weak at creating the footprint. I found its too challenging to analyse its dimension and make perfect according to that.
For the LM2596 buck convertor Module Footprint, Online I found varies dimensions for its board size. Initially, I made according to searched dimentions i.e. 45*20mm board size. But I found somewhere I am mistaken. I checked its dimensions its soo varied so not relatable which should be perfect .so I went through its datasheet(source:https://www.rhydolabz.com/documents/26/lm2596.pdf), but it’s really too confusing for me to pick the correct dimension sort through it. I choose the alternate option to skip footprint creation. So what I find module footprint on EasyEDA export it to .dxf file then import its dimension into KiCad footprint editor and with reference to it I create a footprint. So, I just want to make sure is it okay or not?

Module details:https://www.rhydolabz.com/miscellaneous-smps-power-supplies-c-205_210/lm2596-step-down-module-dcdc-buck-converter-power-supply-p-2310.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwmMX4BRAAEiwA-zM4JvBNVF--xxZkYyvxbh9onsgDO1IJ4n78vw1WhuGkfV_DiN6HoXFDCRoCEO8QAvD_BwE

Datasheet:https://www.rhydolabz.com/documents/26/lm2596.pdf

EasyEDA Module refference:https://easyeda.com/JazekerXX/lm2596s-module

I find it difficult to understand what you really need. LM2596 is a component available in e.g. TO-263-5 package. But there seem to be that ready-made module. Are you going to solder the module to your own design? You don’t necessarily need any complex footprint, only the relevant soldering points for the connection and maybe the simple outline. You have to give more details about your design and needs.

2 Likes

It looks that you are searching for assembled module with LM2596. If there are many sources of such modules then it is obvious that they will have different board sizes.
If you are planning to use IC (not module) then you have in its pdf the “LAND PATTERN RECOMMENDATION” - page 42 (/45).

1 Like

Sounds like you are attaching a ready-made module to your PCB, and various makes differ in size. You will have to pick the one that you intend to use and create a footprint for that. The space needed by it must match the footprint and the connection points must match the pads, both in position and function. This has nothing to do with the IC since the module is an integral component.

1 Like

Yea I want to use ready-made module. I am confusing between its lengthwidthheight how to choose perfect because I don’t have that module right now. On the internet, there is various variation in dimensions for the same module so unable to choose which one is correct.

They are all correct, there is no standard for modules. So unfortunately if you use a different module in future, you may have to redo the board.

1 Like

Yes,i am going to use assembled module with LM2596.

thank you so much for your response @Piotr @eelik @kenyapcomau

Any particular reason you want to use such a fully assembled card?

my advice would be to use the LMR33630 chipset (small and cheaper than the LM2596 but same current… slightly lower input voltage). This runs at a higher freq so you can shrink the magnetics.

designing in such a “module” essentially exposes you to the availability of such a module. also this would need to be hand fitted after assembly adding cost while a DCDC design sunk into your PCB would be populated during the anticipated assembly process

1 Like

I have made such footprint back in 2016.
My module had dimension 20mm wide and 52mm long.
Feel free to use it. It is just four pads nothing special.
I have found old board with it, you can see it on the photo.

DC_DC_LM2596_small.pretty.rar (1.1 KB) Custom_dc_dc_small.rar (456 Bytes) dc dc module

2 Likes

thank you so much for sharing @EI9HEB

thank you so much for your suggetion @Naib

Hello EI9HEB can you help me or tell me how you could install that library in my kicad … I am new to using this program and I really need that footprint. I need the .dcm file

Hi. Could you share the footprint of the lm2596 module please

Isn’t it in those rar files posted in 2018?

There are many different sizes of similar modules.
This one has 2 inductors, ans seems to be the same as I bought a few years ago.

It doesn’t even have an LM2596 on it, as it oscillates on the wrong frequency.
In itself it 's not too bad, as these modules do tend to work but it means the inductor is not the right value for the chip and it makes the extra LC filter mandatory to get around to the same switching noise as a real LM2596 would have without the extra filter.

KiCad footprint libraries are just *.pretty directories (MyLib.pretty directory is MyLib library) containing *.kicad_mod files (one file = one footprint). You can just copy footprint file into your library directory and KiCad sees one more footprint in that library.

… With the addition that you have to tell KiCad in which directories to look for footprints, so add the directory to:

KiCad / Preferences / Manage Footprint Libraries
For more info about library management, read the FAQ on this forum.
https://forum.kicad.info/search?q=footprint%20management%20category%3A19

@EI9HEB …

This thread is the first one that pops up when searching Kicad and LM2596…
I’m just completing my own symbols/footprints/3Dmodels for common buck and boost modules I have laying around. I had a look to your LM2596 module library.

The symbol has 2 and 4 as separate power inputs. These pins are equipotential (0 ohm).
Is this the way it has to be done with KiCad ? -OUT as power input is not intuitive. Reading the forum, I understood the pins have to be stacked, but without a clear understanding of stacking. Could you explain ? (coming from Eagle, I’m really puzzled by equipotentials : there’s no equivalent, and at least 2 ways to manage this : separate pins or stacked).

What are official good pratices in such a case ???

(I made my symbols as 3-pin, with stacked equipotential pins)

The symbol was made back in 2016 to suit my needs at the time, I did not follow any Library recommendation.
I have draw it to match the real module with four pins.
The pin 2 and 4 are just common ground, There is no isolation between input and output.
If you draw it as 3 pin then footprint will not match.
Whats official i don’t know.
Personally I’m not the fan of stacked pins.

Have 4 pins in the symbol and footprint but give them the same pin “number”. KiCad will understand that they are to be connected when routing. This approach is also used by those SPST tactile switches that have 4 pins for mechanical mounting, for example.