Link and update schematic from other project

Hello everyone,

I create multiple “Master-Projects” with schematics (and associated footprints) of circuits I want to use in other projects (e.g. battery holder, I2C-Extender, …).

Normally I include these master files using a hierarchical sheet and import existing schematic. This creates a copy of the schematic in the current project folder.

My problem now is when I update the “Master-Project” there is no direct link to all the projects which use the master schematic. Is there a way to directly link (relative path to project position) to the Master-file? I would like to change schematics across different projects.

Has KiCAD such a function?

There is no such function in kicad right now.

I also doubt a direct link would be a good idea to be honest. Just think about getting back to an old project of yours and suddenly discovering that the schematic no longer agrees with what you have manufactured.

However, having a master library where a user can store such shared parts would be great. An update should however always be only after deliberate user command.

See also:

1 Like

I understand that argument. Such an auto-update would be dangerous for finished PCBs.

An information or warning for the used relative part of a schematic would be nice, then I could check if I want to change.

Since I have a documentation file in every project I will just add a column with the used ‘master files’ and their versions. Before changing anything I check the docu file and compare versions.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.