Library visibility in 7.0

I note that in the Manage Symbol Libraries dialog in 7.0, there now is a “Visible” check box. Libraries with this un-checked appear in the Symbol Editor but not in the Choose Symbol dialog. This is great for decreasing the clutter of the latter. But is there a way to place a symbol from a non visible library, other than by going into Manage Symbol Libraries and making the library visible?

It’s just a couple of clicks to Manage-Symbol-Libraries and change the lib(s) that are visible. I don’t see how it could be much easier. I have everything accessible via my database now, so my original symbol lib stays not-visible, and I can select db-all which pulls up all of my database, or one of two other views that filters down to fewer and more current/favorite parts. I think it is a great new feature.

It could be easier if there were a way to temporarily see the non-Visible libraries in Choose Symbol. Kind of like hidden accounts in gnucash, if anyone’s familiar with that:

No big deal if this feature doesn’t exist, though; I just wondered if I’d overlooked it.

Yes, by using database libraries (which was why the visibility control was introduced)

If you aren’t using database libraries and are just looking to clean up clutter, there is not currently a quick toggle like you say.

But is there a way to place a symbol from a non visible library, other than by going into Manage Symbol Libraries and making the library visible?

yes, but requires also some clicks:

• open symbol editor
  • in symbol editor open the active, but non-visible library
  • open the desired symbol (in symbol editor)
  • top toolbar, most right icon: Add symbol to Schematic
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.