Library Subcatgories using database

is it possible to organize work with the database so that the list of libraries displays not only the name of the table, but also subcategories in the form of drop-down lists, for example Resistors\0805 Resistors\R0603 Resistors\Axial

No, it is not possible today, there can be only one level of categories in database libraries.

1 Like

thank you for reply, may be in future this option will be available

I don’t find it necessary. I have my db divided into tables for C, R… for major granularity (plus some views that filter out some parts):

I have a part number system that is the db key, and it is arranged numerically such that it sorts the way I like my parts to be presented (eg: 0402 resistors are in a block numbered 018-04xxx and 0603 are 018-06xxx. I also don’t bother with fields like tolerance or dielectric – I jam as much as I can into the description field, which is handy for selection and also bom:

works well for me.

It does not seem convenient to me, to search among hundreds of resistors or capacitors, for example, the necessary type: axial, surface 0603, surface 0805. With chips, it’s even worse, if you put them all in one database table, then it’s just terrible to look for the right chip, there are a bunch of subcategories: ADC, DAC, logic, power, level converters, etc. The unique id system is not very convenient, as it does not allow you to explicitly search for a subtype of a component.

…you don’t need to browse, you just write in the search field: R 0402 1% and et voilà. very fast and convenient.

this is convenient when you know what to look for, now I still use keyword search, but some engineers from my team are used to using component category browsing

with kc that’s not the most efficient way, it takes a lot of clicks and wheel scrolling.
i was forced to do that in less advanced CAD systems that were missing advanced search capability, but now a could not turn back for any reason.