Library component for Xilinx coolrunner II ICs

Hi,

I was thinking of making a project with Xilinx coolrunner II ICs. While doing a check on the schematic components available in the Xilinx library folder, I could not find many schematic components of the coolrunner II family. Only XC2C256 variant component was available. Where can I get the rest of the components pls. I am specifically looking for the schematic components of the low end devices such as XC2C32A or XC2C64A (and the layout component also). The family datasheet for the components are available here:

Thanks,
Arvind Gupta

Google can be useful… There are some vendors providing “free” components, e.g. Samacsys, SnapEDA but their coverage is patchy and often the quality of data is poor.

If google etc doesn’t come up with an immediate result, I would give up looking and make your own component. With a little experience and the right tools, it can be quite quick.

I am currently working on a component “wizard”, it’s quite quick to make black box type symbols.

OK thanks for the links. They seem to ahve the footprints atleast. How to import the symbols and footprints in Kicad pls.

Thanks again,
Arvind Gupta

Well in what format are the footprints you found?

Many of the Xilinx packages are industry standard and should be in the KiCad Housings_xx libraries

1 Like

Thanks. But I will need the schematic symbol as well… to make the schematic diagram.

Regards,
Arvind Gupta

Generally speaking, if you want parts that are not in KiCad, and can’t find them via google, you will have to make them. Creating good quality parts is a time consuming work.

If you can specify a particular part (device-footprint), someone might be generous and create it for you, but “make me all the parts” is not going to happen.

2 Likes

Take a look at the current official library repo. Maybe the part you are looking for is already in there. (The symbol lib is updated with KiCad it self. You might have a symbol lib that is already a bit out of date.)

You can also look at pull requests if there is a symbol in the process of being added. Maybe you can use that as a basis for your own symbol.

1 Like

An easy way is to take the XC256 VQ100 symbol and edit down to the smaller parts that you want.
You won’t get far in PCB layout without creating your own symbols, it is not that hard.

2 Likes

OK… how to know the library version in Kicad and if required how to update the same?

Thanks,
Arvind Gupta