Libraries very limited?

New to KiCad, trying to evaluate it compared to Eagle and DesignSpark
Worked many years with WinQcad, very pleased with, but they are out of the market and I try to find an alternative.
Until now KiCad it seems friendly, easy to adapt (.sch in this stage).
My problem are the libraries:
Have a microchip library without even one PIC microcontroller (many Atmel in the atmel library, but I will not switch to them). Do KiCad have an online or downloadable library for PIC microcontrollers?
Same about DCDC converters.
Any help will be appreciated

Best wishes
Joe

Google find this
http://www.kicadlib.org/
which has a few PIC’s listed.

There is also this nifty Lib->PDF tool

1 Like

Ever drawn a symbol or footprint yourself?

It takes some time for the first couple, but after that you usually know what you’re doing and there is wizards to help you along with repetitive tasks…
All parts I use I have drawn myself and most of the frequent users do the same as by the time one has validated the work of others the work itself could have been done (and how you want it).

Also note, if you prefer atomic parts (symbol + footprint as one) that come with manufacturer part number (or your own internal procurement number) you have to run your own libraries anyway.

1 Like

Thank you for the link PCB_Wiz, I found it useful.
Thank you for the post Joan_Sparky. The answer is yes, I have drawn 100 ts of symbols and footprints while using WinQcad, Orcad and Tango (long time ago) and also a new symbol for the PIC16F1847 in KiCad just now. Not just waited for the answers. It takes some time, but it is strait forward.
Maybe I am expecting too much from a free software.

Best wishes
Joe

If you have a lot of existing library resource, you could look at converting those to KiCad format ?
I see WinQCad can export OrCAD SCH symbols, and the eeschema LIB is a fairly simple ASCII format, so you could translate those symbols ?
Have a look at the ASCII files you can create at each end, to check.

Thanks again PCB_Wiz, I will check the subject and see what can I do.

Best wishes
Joe

For Microchip I can find

http://www.microchip.com/development-tools/resources/cad-cae-symbols

and I’ve found the Altium PCAD (Accel ASCII) is similar in format, if not a content match-up, to the KiCad PCB side of things.

There is also this

claims to have helped convert the icezum board.
1 Like

Thanks PCB_Wiz
Started to work on the subject, hope will be able to do that, not easy for me
“Can’t teach an old dog new tricks”:slight_smile:

Best wishes
Joe

You can, just takes a bit longer :wink:

If you need help with anything, just ask/post… we’re glad to be of help.

Thanks for the proposal Joan_Sparky
Started with Ultra Librarian, hope will go OK:slight_smile:

Best wishes
Joe

At one time I divided library for the PIC microcontrollers into smaller libraries, easier to search for the necessary components. That’s why if you look at the current library set at https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-library/tree/master/library you can easy find: microchip_pic10mcu, microchip_pic12mcu, microchip_pic16mcu, microchip_pic18mcu, microchip_pic32mcu. Of course they do not have every PIC device in the market because I stopped further work on them and my library contribution.
Microchip, however, do not only produces PIC microcontrollers, so we have a main library called microchip.lib for other devices. As I remember there is only ENC28J60 there, because it’s very popular.

In my repository at https://github.com/keruseykaryu/kicad-kerusey-library you will find my latest Microchip related libraries, but don’t expect too much.

1 Like

Thank you keruseykaryu
I check out your link but I don’t understand what to do as with the other option I was proposed.
I am using just three PIC controllers so the simplest way is to draw them and save to the library.
Done one already and it was strait forward
In any case I found just one of the three.

Best wishes
Joe

Hi @Joseph it is very easy to expect too much.
The beauty of opensource software (!= free) is that you can contribute with your own work to it. After you create the parts that are missing in the main library, you can contribute it to the project:

So future users can has the expectations fulfilled.

1 Like

Hi kammutierspule
I will upload the 3 PIC controllers after I am done with them
I will open a new topic and ask how to do that

Best wishes
Joe

1 Like

Just read first: https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-library/wiki/How-To-Contribute

1 Like

Thanks keruseykaryu
I saved the link you provided

Best wishes
Joe

I had the same problem a few months ago, but a little hunting gave me a 100 or so

pic_library.zip (30.8 KB)

I don’t like the conceptial outline used (I prefer a pin outline) but Ithis gives me something to work with while I edit the ones I most often use.

Hi Jwzumwalt
Thank you for the library, installed already and working
Have a nice weekendBest wishesJoe

@Joseph there does exist a large assortment of PIC parts already in the kicad-libraries, maybe you have been looking in the wrong place?

• microchip_pic10mcu.lib
  • microchip_pic12mcu.lib
  • microchip_pic16mcu.lib
  • microchip_pic18mcu.lib
  • microchip_pic32mcu.lib

The ‘microchip.lib’ library is for uncategorized microchip parts.

Cheers

1 Like

Thank you for the answer SchrodingersGat
I found them and can use them already
Best wishesJoseph