Librarie managment

Is there a way to organise the libraries in folders in the symbol editor?
What I’m not asking is if libraries can be in directories on the hard disk.
I’ve perfectly organised my libraries and Kicad’s default libraries on my system in a libraries structure.

In [Preferences]-[Manage Symbol Libraries] libraries are listed by their .lib file.
Each .lib file contains, can contain, a lot of components.
That is how their are listed

Having different directories on disk with in each a set of component/symbol .lib files, when they are add as [Project Specific Libraries] the structure of of the hard disk setup is gone because each of the .lib files is listed in kind of a flat structure (list of .lib files).

My question:
If there a way or is it uberhaupt possible to organise .lib files in a kind of folder/directory structure in the Symbol Libraries Manager?

Thanks in advance for any hints

It’s not possible. I think the only thing you can do is to change the names of the .lib files so that there are for example “Library1_Sublibrary1” and “Library2_Sublibrary1” files. At least the libraries are organized in the correct order. But they are still listed one after another, not in a tree.

Libraries are listed in alphabetic order. I think you can use it to organize them in tree-like looking order.

Not sure if this is what you want but, you can Move the File of interest Up/Down in the list by using the Up/Down arrow

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 8.50.46 AM

At least in the current stable (5.1.10) these arrows for re-ordering only affect the order the libraries are listed in the library table files. When choosing library items (either the symbol picker or footprint picker) the libraries are listed alphabetically. I did put in a request to allow the order in the table to affect the listing order in the picker, but that was back in the launchpad days and I’ve lost track of it so I don’t know if 5.99 has included this request.

@SembazuruCDE you are correct (it’s been awhile since I messed with lib’s).

However, my solution to this is: I made several folders for parts and symbols. I labeled the folder’s starting with the letter “z” so they would be grouped together (and, at the bottom of the list). They are placed in a personal directory so they won’t be over-written by kicad…

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 3.13.29 PM

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.