LED OSRAM OSLON SSL & Square Footprint?

Hello !

Here is my problem, I create a footprint of LED OSRAM OSLON Square (https://www.osram.com/ecat/OSLON®%20Square%20GH%20CSSRM4.24/com/en/class_pim_web_catalog_103489/prd_pim_device_10285510/), But I can not connect them in series with a track length of 1, 000 mm ?!

Is it normal ?

I do not understand how to determine the ideal track length ?

I’m starting under Kicad but I think I have correctly realized the footprint that is ?

How to share with you the footprint on the forum by being new user ?
I receive an error message during the upload “Sorry, new users can not upload attachments” …

Can someone help me ?

Thanks all :slight_smile:

Probably the clearance setting for your track can’t be enforced because of the central pad. You can either escape the pad with a smaller track that is connected to your 1.0mm main track, or (my favourite option) you can use a copper pour zone for that pad connection (it helps with removing heat from the LED).

1 Like

Indeed, if you look at the datasheet you can see that continuous copper areas are recommended. The H shape isn’t important, it’s just a suggestion. You can for example add vias to it and another thermal copper area to the bottom of the board.

1 Like

Try now. Welcome aboard. :smiley:

Thank you all for your reply :slight_smile:

I think I understand what you want to specify ?

I removed the pad 3 to add an area (graphic polygon) like this :

I can now connect with a 1.0mm track lenght in series :slight_smile:

did I understand well ?

Thanks all !

as promised, I share with you the OSRAM OSLON SSL/Square footprint :slight_smile:

LED_OSRAM_OSLON_SSL_Square.kicad_mod (2.9 KB)

If everything is OK can I integrate it with the library via gitlab (To be included in the future version of Kicad) ?

Best Regards

Layer F.Cu :

Layer F.Mask :

Layer F.Paste :

Hi @6temrepair. I might have not been clear enough.

First of all, don’t use copper polygons on your footprints - it’s a really bad practice and should be used very, very carefully for very specific use cases.

The central pad of the LED should be built as a pad, not a graphical polygon in the copper layer (they are quite different things - the pad will link to your schematic, while the copper polygon will be a bunch of copper where you can’t connect anything - not very useful).

What I was suggesting was that you put your footprint on your PCB and then you should add a “Filled Zone” (look up the icon “Add Filled Zone”) - this will let you associate that “zone” with a specific net and if the zone covers the pad, it will make the necessary connections.

See the examples bellow.

See this page for information on contributing to the KiCad library.

thank you for the explanations !

Hum, I’m confused :thinking:

I have the footprint as at the beginning (first topic), But I still can not trace 1 mm track length with a “Add filled zone” …

Actually :

Can not connect PAD 1 to PAD 2 with 1mm track length ?
With a smaller track length, is no problem :frowning:

here is the footprint : LED_OSRAM_OSLON_SSL_Square.kicad_mod (2.4 KB)

I will try to understand, thanks :slight_smile:

(The colors are a bit different because this is from the unstable version 5.99.)

See the arrows. One points at the track segment which is 1 mm wide. The other points at the clearance line of the pad 3. The track violates DRC rules, therefore you can’t do it.

Use zones instead of tracks. As was said, it gives better thermal cooling for the power led.

Need to clarify some terminology here. You keep mentioning track length, yet many of the replies that I’ve seen are about dealing with track width.

Do you really mean track length, as in the length of the track from pad to pad?

@SembazuruCDE yes sorry for my language, i’m french and use google translate ^^
This is the track width !

@eelik thanks, I understand better, I come back to give results :slight_smile:

add zone is more complicated than what I imagined (compared to route tracks) …

I get this, I’m really not sure ?

If you have documentation about it do not hesitate :slight_smile:

Thanks all !

No problem. I hoped that there was a translation error there. You can edit your profile to give a location (as general or specific as you desire, for example I give a general “Northern Delaware, USA” instead of my specific city). That gives us an idea what language you might speak.

Hello all !

@ppelleti Thank you for the link, I will do that :slight_smile:

@tiagogala I try to follow your instructions, is it good ?

Is setting seem correct ? first time I use the filled zone, something escapes me :alien:

Best Regards

This looks strange, the thermal reliefs are missing. Did you press “B” to update the fills? Maybe read a tutorial on fills?
The fill sould be wider so you get connections to the sides as well. Try to replicate the example tiagogala posted above.

The connection type (thermal/solid/none) can be changed in the zone properties, footprint properties and pad properties.

@MartinS yes, fills is updated, I’m new to Kicad and PCB in general, I do not understand how the filled zones works, and I do not find much documentation in French …

I have only 4 LEDs on the PCB (component on the front copper layer only), I think ultimately reduce the track width … filled zones it’s much more complicated than I imagined …

Can someone make a second filled zones example ? I will appreciate :slight_smile:

I will try one last time …

Thanks all !

Maybe a silly question, but did you read the manual?
In the top right there is a button to select the language:
https://docs.kicad.org/5.1/fr/pcbnew/pcbnew.html

If you installed the documentation it should also be available under [F1].

@paulvdh Thank you for the link, yes I already had some tutorials on PCBNew but it’s pretty complicating sometimes, I do not have a global view of making a PCB, we learn every day :slight_smile:

Edit:

Hi all,

I found an interesting article (https://www.digikey.fr/fr/articles/optimizing-pcb-thermal-performance-for-cree-xlamp-leds).

it is OSRAM LED here, not CREE but I suposse that the technique is the same ?

I get this with the previous footprints :