Learn to Code KiCad @ FOSDEM 2020!

Hi Folks-

Are you looking to write code that improves KiCad?

On Friday, Jan 31 (the day before FOSDEM), we’ll be hosting a Learn to Code KiCad session in Brussels, BE. I will be there as will Wayne and possibly a few other of the lead development team. We’ll help you understand how the various KiCad components fit together and work with you to get your favorite feature from idea to committed code.

What you need:

1. An identified bug report (or multiple) that you’d like to address. This can be either a legitimate bug or a wishlist feature that is triaged in our system.
  2. A laptop with your development environment
  3. A launchpad account
  4. A compiling version of KiCad
  5. A working knowledge of C++ coding

What we’ll provide:

1. Space, power outlet, wifi
  2. Coffee
  3. A short introduction to the structure of KiCad and how the parts work together
  4. Up to 8 hours of development time with others who share your interests
  5. Clarifying insights to your KiCad coding questions

At the end of the day, you should be able to get at least 1 and possibly multiple bug report fixes under your belt and into the code base!

If you’re coming to FOSDEM 2020 and would like to participate, please e-mail me directly (do not reserve in-thread here). Send me your name/contact info and the list of 1 or more launchpad bugs you’d like to work on during the day. I’ll add you to our shared sheet (to deconflict bugs people are addressing) and get you all of the relevant information for the meeting.

Best-
Seth

Original mailing list announcement: https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg42419.html

Slides from the presentation day: Learn to Code KiCad 2020.pdf (386.0 KB)

16 Likes

I am impressed! Your objectives may be a little ambitious, but they are honest, direct, and to-the-point nonetheless. :star_struck: :+1: :clap:

Now, all I need to do is learn C++. (Will Fortran II from 1967 suffice?)

And figure out how I can afford to get to Belgium. (Hey, I didn’t have to borrow money for my Medicare premium last month - that’s a start!)

I hope many folks accept the invitation . . . . and most of them become effective contributors to the KiCAD project.

Dale

1 Like

:laughing: Back in the 90s, I once taught a course on programming languages. Since the goal was to teach multiple languages, I allowed students to submit their final coursework in the language of their choice. This worked well for a while until a //well-seasoned// coder took the course one year and turned all of her work in in PL/I. It took me as long to grade her assignment as the rest of the class together.

So for now, C++11 only. If someone wants to work on python plugins, we might expand that to SWIG and Python3.

2 Likes

95% sure I’ll be there :slight_smile:
my C++ is nothing to brag about, but hopefully I can learn to fix a bug or two :slight_smile:

I won’t be attending but would really like to see a video of the presentation portion.

Best wishes

1 Like

Hi Ian-

I’ll see if someone can video the presentation. Bare minimum, I’ll post the slides!

2 Likes

Hi Seth, I want to attend, but what’s your eMail Address? You can find mine on www.team14.at

Greets, Karl

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.