Layout: strange behaviour concerning layer configuration

Hi, when routing with vias, kicad sometimes switches from front-layer or bottom-layer to both sides visibility. I think this is intentionally to “follow” the track.

But when I want to return to the single layer view this does not change anything ! I first have to choose any completely different layer configuration (silkscreen etc.) and THEN choose a single layer option !?

(Versions 7.0.8 and 7.0.7 on win and LINUX Mint )

I don’t understand your question or problem. Can you please write it again with different words (please be as clear as possible and do not assume anything is obvious nor that the others do know anything about your particular project). And please provide all the necessary details to reproduce the issue.

when routing with vias, kicad sometimes switches from front-layer or bottom-layer to both sides visibility.

What does that mean. How do you place a via? Do you place a single via or do you lay down a track and press V? (I guess the later one, but again, the question is not clear to me)
How many layers do you use? Do i understand it correct that this can only occur for boards with more than 2 Cu layers?
Also not really clear what you mean by visibility. Did you made some layers invisible? (again, if that is relevant, mention what you did. Don’t assume we know).

I use the predefined layer settings from the dropdown menu.
I am routing with 2 layers.
The pull down menu is below the layer list and its called “Erscheinungsbild” in german (CTRL-TAB). Its very useful to change between views.

lets say I am routing with the bottom layers only (blue) and I reach a via that I have set before, connected to some tracks on the top layer.

I connect to that via and KiCad automatically aktivates another layer setting:
“All copper layers” (blue and red). Maybe to show me where this leads to.

But I want to keep routing only the bottom layer. no problem, I use the pulldown menu and select “bottom layers” again - nothing changes.

KiCad may aktivate the bottom layers wich are already visible but it “forgets” to turn the top layer (red) off again or clear it from the screen.

To see only the bottom layer (blue) I have to choose a completely different configuration from the list and then again choose “bottom layers”

Its no big failure and does not prevent me from doing what I want - its just a little bit annoying.

Ok, es ist nun klarer was du meinst (hoffe ich) aber sehr eindeutig ist es immer noch nicht geschrieben (Stell dir nächstes mal vor du schreibst mit dem grössten anzunehmenden Idioten wenn du etwas im Internet fragst).

KiCad may aktivate the bottom layers

Was meinst du mit aktivieren? Einblenden oder auswählen?

I connect to that via and KiCad automatically aktivates another layer setting:
“All copper layers” (blue and red). Maybe to show me where this leads to.

Kann ich bei mir nicht nachvollziehen. Also, wenn ich:

1. B.Cu auswähle
  2. Sichtbarkeit auf B.Cu beschränke.
  3. Eine Leiterbahn Anfange zu zeichnen
  4. Verbinde die Leiterbahn zu einer Durchkontaktierung die bereits existiert.

Ist nun nur B.Cu sichtbar. F.Cu sehe ich immernoch nicht. Egal wie die Durchkontaktierung verbinden war, entweder freistehend war (keine vorherigen Verbindung), eine Verbindung auf F.Cu hatte oder eine Verbindung auf F.Cu und eine auf B.Cu hatte.

Passiert das mit jedem Projekt? Wenn nein, kannst du ein kleines Beispiel hochladen?
Macht es ein Unterschied ob der Leiterbahn und der Durchkontaktierung ein Netz zugeordnet ist?

Its no big failure and does not prevent me from doing what I want - its just a little bit annoying.

2 mal ctrl-Tab drücken (ctrl zwischendurch loslassen), müsste eigentlich am schnellsten gehen. (Wenn ich richtig verstehe was bei dir passiert).

Ok, seems to be no general effect. I will try to find a configuration that is reproducible …

first step:
KiCad changes visibilities, showing copper layer top(red) when I start with “bottom layers” visible (blue) from a via that is already connected on top AND have selected the top layer for routing.
This makes sense because otherwise I would be routing on an invisible layer and complaining that KiCad is not intelligent enough to follow me.

But in my primitive test layout activating the “bottom only” view works at once. Up to now I dont know what I have to do to recreate the complete (mis-)behaviour.
I will investigate …

Hmmm, seems I cant trigger it intentionally. I will have to wait until it happens during normal work.
Interesting (?) detail: I prefer the old fashioned menu usage but if i use CTRL-TAB I see the english version.

However, if nobody else encounters this and if I can not produce an example, just forget this post :cry:

Seems to work correctly for me.
Mint 21.1 and English keyboard.

I was working with a very small pcb, so I did a lot of moving, dragging, routing, changing …
I will possibly never find a way to recreate that situation but if nobody else has encountered this it may have been some temporal flaw in my design or an inconscious habit to press the wrong keys (only working with a laptop keyboard here)

But thank you for having a look !

I have to change my description: the problem appears ONLY with my LINUX devices NOT with the win Version !

It happens as described with LINUX Mint Cinnamon on a Laptop (intel graphics) and on a Desktop-PC (nvidia+ Nouveau) so the HW and drivers seem to not be the reason for this.

The win laptop is an office machine also using intel graphics.

I use Debian AMD64, and was not able to reproduce it.

Maybe there are some global settings? Or do you have more reliable way to reproduce it?

the reliable way on my Mint-Pcs is still:

• 2-sided PCB with vias
  • only back layer visible
  • start track at a via on the invisible front layer
  • KiCad activates the invisible layer, both layers are now visible
  • abort routing [ESC] and choose “back layer” from the layer preferences (because you originally wanted to continue on bottom)
  • BOTH layers remain visible until you choose a setting that requires a redraw

IMPORTANT: this only happens when I use the pull down menü below the layers window ! When I use the (always english) [CTRL-TAB] version it works as desired !!

Activates? Really? I think you mean »show«?
Meinst du wirklich aktivieren? Nicht eher zeigt KiCad?

Das ist aber schon aktiviert oder? Das würde dann auch heissen die Wahl hat keinen Effekt da es bereits ausgewählt ist. Wenn ich das richtig verstehe besteht der eigentlich Bug darin, dass im Menu »back layers« ausgewählt bleibt obwohl die sichtbaren Layers nicht mehr die gleichen sind.
Falls ja, das ist auch bei mir der Fall.

What does »(always english)« mean in this context? I get the same behaviour even when the language is set to English.

OK, I will use both languages to explain:

• Aktivieren oder sichtbar machen: in der Situation sehe ich nur den back-layer, beginne einen Track aber auf dem front-layer. KiCad macht den front-layer zusätzlich SICHTBAR, weil ich ihn ja (versehentlich) als aktiven Layer zum Leiterbahnerstellen gewählt hatte [v].
    Activate/visibilty: in that situation I see only the back layer but start a track on the front layer because I had selected (erroneously) front layer as active for routing [v]. KiCad makes the front layer visible too.

• Ja, KiCad ZEIGT den front-layer zusätzlich (aktiv ist er ja schon)
    Yes KiCad SHOWs the front layer additionally (its already active)

• Ich wähle im “Erscheinungsbild” Menü den Layer-Satz: “Hintere Lagen”. Aber die “Vordere Lage” bleibt ebenfalls sichtbar.
    I choose a layer preset “Back Layers” from the menu under the layers list (right) but the front layer remains visible.

• Das “Erscheinungsbild” Auswahlmenü ist komplett deutsch: Alle Kupferlagen, Alle Lagen, Hintere Lagen, …
    Das [CTRL+TAB] Fenster ist bis auf die Überschrift englisch: Back Layers, All Layers, All Copper Layers, …
    The layer preset menu is german (as my whole KiCad), see text above.
    The [CTRL+TAB] window is english (except the title), see text above.
    But this is no failure I really care for !

Again: the [CTRL-TAB] version always works correct, only the menu on the right side leaves the front layer VISIBLE when switching to back-layers

Das Problem ist, dass die Auswahl auf »Back Layers« bleibt obwohl KiCad die sichtbaren Layers automatisch ändert. Wenn man von Hand die Sichtbarkeit eines einzelnen Layers ändert, wird die Auswahl automatisch von »Back Layers« auf »—« geändert.

Diese Änderung sollte eigentlich auch dann passieren wenn die Sichtbarkeit eines Layers automatisch angepasst wird um eine Leiterbahn auf dem entsprechenden Layer legen zu können. Das tut es aber nicht.

bleibt_gleich

Hier, sollte eigentlich »—« stehen und nicht »Back Layers«. Und weil schon »Back Layers« steht, ändert sich nichts wenn du nochmal »Back Layers« auswählst.

Kannst du einen Bugreport auf GitLab erstellen?

Sorry, hab keine Ahnung von GitLab usw. Bin abgesehen vom Platinenzeichnen
mehr der analoge Typ :dodo:

Ich kann kein aktuellen Bugreport machen, da meine KiCad version veraltet ist und ich keine neuere Kompilieren kann.

Auf gitlab.com registieren: Sign up · GitLab
Dann auf Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab »Neues Ticket«
Dort erstellst du eine Beschreibung und kopierst die Versionsinformation von KiCad (Hilfe → über KiCad → Kopiere Versionsinfo). Alternativ kannst du das Ticket auch über KiCad (Hilfe → Fehler Melden) erstellen (aber ein GitLab Account brauchst du auch dann).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.