Lasso selection

The schematic editor only features rectangular selection (with different behaviour left to and from right).
I very much miss the the LASSO selection, which is use intensively with other EDA tools.

How can I file a feature request for the LASSO selection (in schematic and layout)?

Marko

You can give the feature request below an upvote:

It’s only 9 1/2 years old, and until someone gets around to implementing it, you will have to work with combinations of rectangle selections and holding down [Shift] and/or [Ctrl]. With this you can add, subtract or toggle items in a selection, and you can combine them with filters and toggling layer visibility to determine what types of objects are actually selectable.

On top of that there is also the context menu (right click while a selection is active) and then: Select / Filter Selected Items.

There are many (1000+) feature requests, and a limited amount of available time from the Kicad developers to implement all those features. This one does not have an official “low priority” rating (It does have an “Incomplete Report” status tag), but I guess it’s treated as a low priority because working with multiple rectangle selects and the modifier keys does give you a very similar capability. KiCad’s current method is more powerful as it lets you build up a complex selection in sections, and also subtract (and toggle) items from a selection. I do not see a big difference between 10 clicks to create a polygon, or a bunch of click + drag (Also note the difference between dragging left and dragging right) combined with the modifier keys.

1 Like

There is an open merge request to add this functionality, but it’s not quite ready yet so is unlikely to make it in v9.

1 Like