Labels with Symbols

I wanted to use a none global ground symbol. There isn’t one and no way of creating one or creating labels with symbols in general. One way to do it might be to have a special footprint.

Some ways to it:
I use different ground symbols for different isolated grounds. All of them are global, but I know where I use them.

Or as you point out, a non-power symbol (with the same drawing on a gnd symbol), but it would require to add a local label at each instance. This option seems more error prone.

I’m sure other users have different approaches.

1 Like

easiest to use global labels like “GND_a” “GND_b” etc

1 Like

If you press p to add a power symbol in Eeschema, and then search for “gnd” you get some 9 different ground symbols:

If that is not enough, then copy one of those into a custom library and edit it to your liking.
In the end these power symbols result in a global label attached to the wires connected to it, so you can indeed also use global labels.

1 Like

It is all a bit awkward. Having local labels for GND just doesn’t look good. Being able to join Labels and symbols would be very useful but it looks like a modification is needed. One way for the inteface to work would be setting the footprint field to label:LGND or andy label you wanted.

Maybe I didn’t explain myself quite well. What you mean is possible although the label attached to the gnd symbol will be global. And it can be set to visible in the schematic.

I don’t know how many different grounds do you have in your designs. In mine 4 at most (plus the earth of the mains supply). For example, gnd_in, gnd_power and gnd_out. And sometimes a different plane for gnd_control connected to gnd_power. Or digital/analog grounds, the name it not important.

It is not very difficult to keep track of which ground in used in which part of the circuit, I think.

It would depend on the scope of the label, I’m suggesting how a KiCAD could be improved.

The problem is there are 45 boards in the design connected by plugs. A scheme for each board in one overall project. https://github.com/flypie/SSEM-Baby/tree/master/KiCAD

I see.
In KiCad a project is intended to have a single pcb. Of course, 45 symbols for gnd and for the other power labels is somehow crazy.

I don’t remember only 1 board being in the spec and if I can I’ll order 1 board with all 45 all clearly demarcated with all the routing within the demarcation.

I only want 1 non global symbol for GND. Just the one.

As far as I know power symbols are currently always treated as global labels. For another solution you either have to choose between local or hierarchical labels.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.