Labeling standard components

Hi,

what is the proper way to label standard components in the schematic?

For example I have a pin socket 1x02. One pin is GND, the other +5V and I want to make that visible in the schematic. I could:

• add a text
  • label the connected wires
  • use the value field of the component
  • create my own symbol

So - is there a ‘right’ way? The last option seems to be a bit excessive but the rest looks (IMO) like a crutch.
I’m a beginner in this field so forgive me if that is a stupid question. :slight_smile:

Thanks

There is no right answer. You must decide for yourself how you want to communicate the function of your system to the reader of your schematic. I personally use generic connector symbols and some type of label [1] to connect them to the rest of the circuit. This connection is then what tells the reader what every pin of a connector is used for.

You can of course make a project specific connector symbol. This is the approach i use for high pin count connectors that are used to connect multiple PCBs.
If you want to standardize some connectors (example the power supply, a communication link, …) over multiple projects then it might pay to also make a specialized connector symbol for that purpose.

Note [1]: A label in the context of KiCad is a net-label. This is any object that controls the net name and which can therefore be used to connect two or more points without the need to draw wires. The different labels differ in scope (global, hierarchical, local). See Hierarchical or flat schematic design, what is best for me? (How to deal with multi page schematics?) (Appendix)

Further reading:

2 Likes

“Label” is a key word you can look up in the docs. It has 2 important features:
It is visible on the schematic and
It usually becomes the net name.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.