As part of the library overhaul for the upcoming v5 release, the KiCad Library Convention (KLC) has had a major facelift:
- Rules are now categorized e.g.
Fx.y for footprints,
Sx.y for symbols
- Reworking of pretty much every rule to improve clarity
- Addition of better examples and screenshots
- Each rule is accessible as a unique URL (the KLC scripts will eventually be able to point users to KLC conflict information)
And, as a present for being so well behaved, the KLC (along with other library information) is now available on the KiCad website!
There will also shortly be an update pushed to the KLC checker scripts:
- Update rule definitions to match new KLC layout
- Improved feedback on a lot of rules
- Fix a lot of false positives (should error-out a lot less often now)
This has been a lot of work and a long time coming. Hopefully more users will be aware that the official KiCad libraries are indeed official, and the new KLC should help to clarify a lot of long-running issues. Thanks to all contributors and librarians who have helped with this effort.
Happy birthday KLC!