Kikit installation not found

I saw a similar case on the issues tab, but it doesn’t seem to have been solved. Is there a way to know why that can’t find the Kikit backend?

I haven’t solved this problem for a lot of time and I want to see logs such as Traceback.
Is there any good way I can do it now?

1 Like

KiKit has two parts, a backend which can be run from the CLI, and an optional PCM portion for the GUI.

You must install the backend first, following the instructions given in the link at the bottom of your screenshot. When you have succeeded, you can run kikit --version from the CLI and hopefully it will be the latest.

Unfortunately I was not able to get the backend working on my own machine but that’s due to my Python version not sufficiently up to date (3.7 miniumun needed). So I ended up with a pre-1.0 version which didn’t work. The maintainer has now withdrawn that version from PIP.

1 Like

Thank you for your quick reply. I installed kikit on both python for kicad and command prompt. Can I know the next step? I attached the kikit version and python version as a picture.

Try the PCM part again if you just got the backend installed?

Otherwise sorry as I said I don’t have KiKit working so I can’t say. I think there is one complication with Windows and that is there may be more than one Python, the system one, and whatever KiCad uses. I don’t know the details as on Linux there is only one Python.

1 Like

Kicad does not interfere with each other because it always has its own Python.(That’s why we should use a dedicated prompt) Somehow Kikit doesn’t seem to find the python of kicad. After reinstalling the PCM, if the problem continues, I will return to the kicad beta version…
Thank you for your help! I keep trying

Maybe ask the author at the GitHub site?

1 Like

Of course! (actually I have already written a post. I’m waiting for answer)

Or simply @yaqwsx ? .

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.