KiCost Questions

Hey everyone,

I am using KiCost and it is an amazing tool to have, thank you to the creators of it.

I had a few questions for the it

1. How to Update to a newer vision of KiCost?
    In its documentation, it says we can define a country and currency but when I try to use "–currency " or " ‘–locale’ " it says "unrecognized argument ". So I think I may have an older version of KiCost, but I have installed it today using PIP and I don’t know how to update the plugin.

2. How to ignore ‘,’ comma in the manf# (manufacturers part number)?
    I am using a part “NUP1301,215” and the KiCost parses it as different parts denoting them as D1#1 & D1#2, how can I make the parsing program ignore the comma?

Hi @yashrk, I am one of the developers, together with @devbisme.

1. We are working together grant access to the main contributors to release KiCost on pip each stable update. So in the future the update procedures will be better.

2. To update for newer code version:
    $ pip install -U git+http://github.com/xesscorp/kicost # But needs Git installed
    Alternative:
    Download the zip package from this GitHub link and
    $ pip install -U $YOUR_DOWNLOAD_FOLDER/kicost/setup.py

3. --locale and --currency is an alpha tool that I am working and I just coded to Digikey, as written on HISTORY.md (may not work because this, but a feedback and help from users could be really useful).

4. When you execute kicost without parameters will be loaded a GUI windows interface (you will need pip install wxpython; if in Linux Python 2, KiCad already install this package, if not https://wiki.wxpython.org/How%20to%20install%20wxPython). This is a beta tool, stable but may have some improvements needed.

5. Use ‘\’ before the ‘,’ and ‘;’ in the part-manufacturer and manufacture-number to scape the interpretation. These characters are, by default, the separator.

1 Like

Hey @hildogjr, thanx for the reply,

I have tried every which way e.g.
NUP1301’’,215 -> apostrophe
NUP1301",215 -> Quotation marks
Also,
NUP1301’,'215

But it didn’t work. The footprint associator program just sees them as single components, so I guess there is no problem there.
I must be doing something obviously foolish, please help out.!

Capture|690x112

Sorry, the forum here also interpret the character.
Use “\”, the reverse back slash, the usual character to scape, as “\n”, “\t”, “\l” in the most of programming languages. I will edit the original answer to keep as user reference.
Your: “NUP1301\,215”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.