KiCad7 add Teardrop to only one component

Hi everyone

In KiCad 6 I used a plugin for Teardrops.
Now in KiCad 7 I discovered that is now supported natively. However, is there a way to only add the Teardrops to a selected component? I tend to remember that the plugging allowed for that.
I do not like the look when every component has the drops. Only for mechanical connectors.

Thanks
Simon

I use v6 so, canā€™t comment on v7ā€™s Teardrop.

I made a custom TearDrop footprint in the shape I needed and may not be to your desire. Itā€™s shown on left side of video. The Video shows how to do the basis for it. It does not show details of adding a Circular area. Also, you can customize the shape you want in the Editor via clicking the ā€˜Custom Shape Primitiveā€™ tabā€¦ Example shows doing it on a Stock Part/Footprint. Good luck

8.0 supports it, but the only way to do it in 7.0 is to add teardrops to everything and then delete all the ones you donā€™t want.

Uhhh my gosh. In that case, Iā€™d rather donā€™t add teardrops. It ainā€™t a simple board, manually deleting would be a nightmare. Unless I find the motivation to write a script.

1 Like

You may try Taper track plugin from RF tools

1 Like

in version 7.0.6 the plugin crashes and the board closes

@m852
do you have a test case?
and full kicad info

win 10\64 kicad 7.0.6 rf-tool 1.2.3
MOTHER_BOARD Ver 1 Rev B (ŠŗŠ¾Š½Ń‚Ń€Š¾Š»ŃŒŠ½Š°Ń).zip (756.9 KB)

Application: KiCad x64 on x64
Version: 7.0.6, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.2
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 6.0.0
FontConfig 2.14.1
libcurl/7.88.1-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.13
Platform: Windows 10 (build 19044), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
Date: Jul 6 2023 04:56:45
wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.81.0
OCC: 7.6.3
Curl: 7.88.1-DEV
ngspice: 40
Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI
Build settings:
KICAD_SPICE=ON

tank I will have a look when Iā€™ll be back in few days
P.S. do you have a special pad you tested with the crash?

There is no special. I took the first suitable one, clicked on the site change as in your video and the kicad closed
The only difference is that you have not yet laid a track on the video, and I tried to change the shape already on the laid

could you please try with a track not connected to the pad but only beside?

I checked it on some empty ones, it works on others, it crashes ā€¦ It works relatively slowly on its own compared to the built-in function

I just checked an older PCB I layouted in Kicad6. Somehow, I managed to add the teardrops only to certain components. See the screenshot:

Unfortunately, I canā€™t remember which plugin it was.

In version 7, this is already a built-in function.

Yes, but only with the limitation as I described in the initial post!
And thatā€™s a bit of a dealbreaker to meā€¦

You can select the area in which the rounding will work in the lower right corner in the settings

I do not have such a setting. But I might be just blind^^

(Version: 7.0.5, release build
Platform: Windows 10 (build 19045), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW)

Click the tool to select Create Teardrop Transitions. A window will open in the lower left corner, there is a setting for which sites to apply

this ?

1 Like