Kicad6_3dmodel_dir default path

which is the default path on different Os for kicad6_3dmodel_dir?
are these correct?

linux
/usr/share/kicad/3dmodels :white_check_mark:
osx
/Library/Application Support/kicad/3dmodels
/Applications/KiCad/KiCad.app/Contents/SharedSupport/3dmodels/ :white_check_mark:
win
C:\Users\%username%\Documents\KiCad\6.0\3dmodels
C:\Program Files\KiCad\6.0\share\kicad\3dmodels :white_check_mark:

Would it be possible to use ${KICAD6_3DMODEL_DIR} envar instead of hardcoded paths?

macOS has moved the models into the Application bundle itself. I can see why they did this as Application Support is not writeable by a user but its a bit odd and bloats and slows the installer.

${KICAD6_3DMODEL_DIR} /Applications/KiCad/KiCad.app/Contents/SharedSupport/3dmodels/

@John_Pateman
thanks, I need to load defaults for each os to create the new defaults for StepUp with kv6

@maui
/usr/share/kicad/3dmodels/
for linux

@jmk thanks for your feedback :smiley:

“KICAD6_3DMODEL_DIR=C:\Program Files\KiCad\6.0\share\kicad\3dmodels”
“KICAD6_3RD_PARTY=D:\Data\Documents\KiCad\6.0\3rdparty”

in Win10

Certainly the 3rd party folder isn’t in D: by default…

Those are the default on my PC where I have my “user” folder on the D drive.

Inside D:\Data you’ll find the “Pictures”, “Desktop”, “Documents” and “Downloads” folders.

thx @der.ule I have updated the paths

1 Like

I wonder, is there a way through the KiCad Python API to query what the current setting is for that (or any) path variable? Or is StepUp not able to reference KiCad’s API because it is run within FreeCAD’s sandbox (especially on Winblows where KiCad uses it’s own Python environment instead of any other Python environment)?

It is not possible to query kicad api from freecad.
A dirty workaround is to read the config files… but I prefer to leave it to the human involvement.

That’s what I was afraid of (for you).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.