KiCad Website issue

issue browsing the https://www.kicad.org/ website, the top nav bar does not work on
Google Chrome 93.0.4577.63 (Official Build) (64-bit) (cohort: Stable)

Elaborate on the words “not work”…because that’s a bit too vague.

What does it not do?

I’m on Debian with Version 93.0.4577.63 (Official Build) (64-bit) and it seems fine. It’s also OK on Firefox which I have locked down pretty tight for my general browsing. I have regular issues with sites because of it, but kicad.org is OK.

Running Ubuntu Mate,
-Version-
Kernel : Linux 5.4.0-81-generic (x86_64)
Version : #91-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 15 19:09:17 UTC 2021
C Library : GNU C Library / (Ubuntu GLIBC 2.31-0ubuntu9.2) 2.31
Distribution : Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS

Both Chrome and Firefox appear to work with kicad.org just fine.

Today I started getting this. (and has now mysteriously started working again moments later) And now doesn’t work again. Firefox is unaffected. I went back to make sure I was clicking(testing) the same links that I was testing in Firefox and it wasn’t working again.

Now even the main page doesn’t come up.

Same for me. (Netherlands).

OK. This might be relevant. On Firefox it stops working when the url doesn’t include www. Maybe a redirect problem in the config? I think Chrome might be ‘thoughtfully’ cleaning up the url and dropping it.

Stopped working for me. Get the same error message.

There is something that’s not working.
Ping still works though:

paul@medion:~$ ping kicad.org -c3
PING kicad.org (188.184.93.89) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from oorouterprod-3f0e85e09c.cern.ch (188.184.93.89): icmp_seq=1 ttl=44 time=25.8 ms
64 bytes from oorouterprod-3f0e85e09c.cern.ch (188.184.93.89): icmp_seq=2 ttl=44 time=25.4 ms
64 bytes from oorouterprod-3f0e85e09c.cern.ch (188.184.93.89): icmp_seq=3 ttl=44 time=25.7 ms

It may be time to ping someone who can do some website maintenance.

Everything just fine here in Australia for the last 20 min. for both Firefox and Chrome.
All I need is the one word “Kicad”. Can’t get a fault.

Using Mint, Cinnamon.

It works again for me too at the moment.

It’ll be fixed in a day or two. I have no access to the domain dns to fix it immediately.

1 Like

Looks like CERN is having some hosting issues. They are working on it…

I’m getting suspicions there may be something bigger going on.

Pages in gitlab do load for me at the moment, but the’yre extremely slow. They can take 30second to load. But it may be just a coincidence. Other web pages load just fine, although even youtube seemed to be a second or two slower then usual.

There is an active incident for GitLab: https://status.gitlab.com/

CERN runs their own infrastructure / data centers for better or for worse. The issues seen here are something internal in CERN’s networking going wonky.