KiCad version in the drawing sheet template on Linux

Hi all,

Noticed that a while ago on v6.0.x and it’s the same on v7.0.2 now.

My drawing sheet template inserts a KiCAD version. It’s the ${KICAD_VERSION} variable.
I presume a default sheet also does the same.

On Windows it only inserts “kicad 7.0.2” which fits nicely in the field.
On Ubuntu it inserts something like " kicad 7.0.2-6a45011f42~172~ubuntu23.04.1" which as you can imagine does really fit in the dedicated field.

See the picture below.

Is there any way to make it shorter?
Or shall I report it as a bug / feature request?

Thanks.

Don’t use custom templates myself but I looked at the default template and it had this:

( tbtext "%K" (pos 109 4.1) (comment "Kicad version" ) )

So maybe try using %K instead?

1 Like

I guess %K and ${KICAD_VERSION} are the same things.
Changing didn’t di anything.
And I also get the that very long version name inserted when using the default template.

That sounds like a packager oversight. I get the short version on 7.0.2 on my Linux distro, and always have, or I would have noticed it. I would report it.

1 Like

Thanks!, Just reported it on Gitlab:

1 Like

I am editing a kicad_wks, and there is a KICAD_VERSION variable being used.

But it has a long line on my system.

This:

7.0.5-4d25ed1034~172~ubuntu23.04.1

Can I have somehow a short version of this text like:

Is it possible to use some sort of operation to split the KICAD_VERSION variable or another variable with just the Kicad x.y.z version?

Which distro and version do you use?

openSUSE, 7.0.1 (not 7.0.2 as I wrote above). Package maintainer not caught up yet, and I have no free time at the moment anyway.

The full version is interesting, and then maybe we could have a short version too like

KICAD_VERSION_SHORT or KICAD_VERSION_XYZ

And then maybe if this is due to the package maintainer, then it would be easier to understand what to put on each variable.

Also seeing the same thing.

@gmc - use the GitLab to let devs know (link above a few comments up)

Added my info to the ticket.

You could be my clone with that username :slight_smile:

1 Like

ROTFL :rofl: (There is another Greg M with username “gregm” - like mine, but with no “_”)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I’m sure I’ve seen a thread about this before but not having any luck finding it.

Running KiCad on Ubuntu and in the PCB Editor the KiCad version that is displayed in the sheet is very long and overrunning into the date field.

Is there a workaround for this? Maybe the length of the field should be trimmed to fit the size of the box in the code?

This is then also visible when exporting to PDF so the date can’t be seen.

Application: KiCad PCB Editor x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 7.0.10-unknown-202401172150~0f715223e9~ubuntu23.10.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.2
	FreeType 2.13.1
	HarfBuzz 8.0.1
	FontConfig 2.14.2
	libcurl/8.2.1 OpenSSL/3.0.10 zlib/1.2.13 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.5.5 libidn2/2.3.4 libpsl/0.21.2 (+libidn2/2.3.3) libssh/0.10.5/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.55.1 librtmp/2.3 OpenLDAP/2.6.6

Platform: Ubuntu 23.10, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, ubuntu, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Jan 17 2024 21:50:05
	wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.74.0
	OCC: 7.6.3
	Curl: 8.2.1
	ngspice: 40
	Compiler: GCC 13.2.0 with C++ ABI 1018

Build settings:
	KICAD_SPICE=ON
1 Like

Thanks for splitting. I’d forgotten about this thread and also the issue that was created on Gitlab which I even posted in. :face_with_peeking_eye:

It’s fixed in 8.0. (Current nightly or upcoming 8.0RC3.)

2 Likes