KiCad V7.99 where is the "Custom Shape Primitive"

Hi,

Does anybody knows if the “Custom Shape Primitive” has disappeared from nightly’s footprint editor because it is under development for some fantastic new features or if there is now some magical options to access to it ?
(kicad-nightly-7.99.0.3819.gfcc6dec0e4-x86_64.exe)

Thanks

I think it is replaced by right-clicking the pad and choosing “Edit Pad as Graphic Shapes” (in footprint editor).

1 Like

KiCad V7 already has the Edit Pad as Graphic Shapes but after adding some lines to a pad in the footprint editor I still see the Custom shape Primitives in the pad properties.

I have not used V7.99 yet and don’t know more details.

Also: don’t shrink your screenshots, the text is barely visibly. This forum software automatically scales the image for viewing on the forum. Also putting pictures next to each other is bad practice for anything internet related. HTML has this wonderful feature where text automatically reflows depending on the window width, and for some reason all the website developers in the world disable this. It is extremely rare to see any website that can make use of more then a width of around 1400 pixels.

1 Like

7.99 doesn’t seem to show that any more:

The “primitives list” is no longer needed with the new custom shape pad workflow

Has someone found a way to edit the number size and position in 7.99 as the described way from 7.0 is not available?

In pad edit mode, add a shape (I used a rectangle on the same copper layer as the pad), select it, then check the “Number Box” property in the properties panel. There might be another way, I’m not sure.

Checking the “Number box” property changes the rectangle from copper to a non-copper definition of where the number and net name should be placed.
If you check the “Number box” property on a rectangle that previously was copper, the copper will go away. In order to put the number on a copper rectangle, you have to make a new rectangle on top of the copper rectangle and make the new rectangle the number box.
[Just writing it out explicitly so I remember the next time…]

Also described here, I see:

1 Like

In order to put the number on a copper rectangle, you have to make a new rectangle on top of the copper rectangle and make the new rectangle the number box

I didn’t get how you make it a copper pad as in JeffYoung picture. Mine stays empty even with ‘Filed’ box checked.

you have to draw another copper rectangle for the real copper.
The number box is only for the number, it creates no copper.

so you have to draw:

• one filled copper rectangle/polygone for the real copper pad area
  • one number box-rectangle
2 Likes

OK, thank you for the precision.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.