Discord is a real-time chat platform that offers some nice features relevant to discussing software such as built-in screen sharing / video chats.
This is not intended to “compete with” or replace this forum, or the #kicad IRC channel. It is simply another option that is now available. I personally think it is good to have both forums and real-time chat:
- Forums offer better search, more permanence, and a nice way to keep things organized into topics/threads
- Real-time chat offers a nice way for people to get quick answers to simple questions
- Discord in particular offers things that IRC doesn’t: embedded multimedia, text formatting, and video calls / screen sharing. These things can really help when discussing graphical software like KiCad.
- There is an established community of open-source hardware developers using Discord already, many of whom are KiCad users and some of whom already hang out on this forum as well.
Use this link to join: https://discord.gg/RA64ftwWDr
PS: to save time, I will go ahead and post some responses
- IRC is better
- email is better
- Matrix is better
- Proprietary software sucks!