Kicad thinks copper pad is a graphic item and cannot start routing

All of the pads on this connector have somehow changed from copper to a graphic item.
Other footprint pads are still working fine. But it’s not possible to start a new trace of this one.

It already has a few traces connected to it, and I can connect to those, but this unconnected V_IN cannot be connected to at all. The pad type is through hole.

Please go to help-about and identify the version of KiCad that you are using. Did you make the connector footprint or is it from a KiCad or other library? (I am not sure which is worse.) What happens if you test by trying with some other through hole footprint? Put a radial leaded capacitor or axial resistor into your schematic and pcb and see if that works?

Are you trying to make a castellated edge? (I see a graphic line behind the pads which may be the edge.) The quick fix is to switch the routing mode momentarily to “Highlight Collisions” and “Allow DRC violations”, then ignore the DRC errors when you do the DRC check. Even now in the unstable development version 6.99 there isn’t one easy perfect way to do everything you might want to do with castellated holes, but there have been changes which make it easier without DRC errors. Even in v6.0 you can do some tricks if you want to.

1 Like

I’m using Kicad 6.01. I made the footprint myself. Other through-hole and surface mount footprints work. Jus this particular footprint not working.
As you can see there are already traces attached to it. I did this a few months ago and now I’m going back to the saved file. So maybe an automatic update broke it or there is something wrong with my save file.

Yes, it is a castellated edge. DRC detects no errors other than the unconnected net, which I am trying to connect.

It looks like you are correct, that edge cut is what’s stopping me from connecting.

To figure it out I changed the routing mode to highlight and started the trace from the other end of the net. Not sure why this was never a problem until now, but I can work around this.

Thanks

FWIW, this is fixed in 6.99 aka 7.0.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.