KiCad Symbol library

New user to KiCad, not sure, looks like I made a mistake with my symbol library. I was trying to import a Snapeda symbol when it looks like I deleted my symbol library path.
Win 10, KiCad version 8.0. Read some FAQ and looked up how to get the symbol library back, and deleted some sym-lib-table files. Restated KiCad, I now get the window to Configure Global Symbol Library Table, but the default is greyed out. Did try the 2nd option to use a custom path, and was able to browse to the symbol directory, but choosing “open” doesn’t change or do anything. Application will not start.
Should un-install and re-install?
Thanks for assistance,
Gary

I didn’t installed V8 yet so what I write is how I remember it when I was moving from V6->V7.

I think that a custom path you selected is not to search a library, but to search a library list file.
Under Win 10 I had with it a problem that window opened by KiCad didn’t show hidden/system files while the library list file was in C:\Users…AppData\Roaming\kicad\6.0 were I could’t go. The solution was to copy library list files (separate for symbol libraries and for footprint libraries) to any ‘visible’ directory and then select it when starting KiCad. KiCad then copied those files to his new 7.0 location.
I probably could copy them myself manually, but didn’t checked.
If you deleted default library lists and you want them installing KiCad once more can be a solution - it not takes a lot of time.
If you had only your own libraries in list (as I have) and you don’t have lot of them you can create the lists once more (Preferences - Manage Symbol Libraries…)

Thanks for the reply, I did un and re-install, it did fix it, the global libraries are there now.
Guess I need to take more time learning how to import and modify parts from Snap.
Gary

Symbols and footprints can be imported directly into projects, but it is usually better to create Personal global libraries and then import your Snapeda symbols and footprints into those Personal libraries.
Kicad supplied libraries are “read only”.

There is a FAQ here that describes how to create and manipulate personal libraries.