Kicad StepUp reloaded! Hierarchy on STEP model

kicad StepUp reloaded!

Finally kicad StepUp is now implementing Hierarchy on STEP import and export.

• FC0.17 >= 11707 required
  • StepUp >= 6046 required

This is possible thanks to Jean-Marie Verdun of
http://www.splitted-desktop.com/
that worked very hard on FC STEP refactoring!

Here a recap on FC forum

:smiley:

When the kicad board is loaded, StepUp will create a hierarchy of pcb, top and bottom parts and top and bottom virtual (mechanical) parts.
Also when the board and parts will be exported as STEP, the file will include hierarchy information.

A side note: this release of StepUp is also much faster in loading big boards with high number of TH pads

StepUp Hierarchy on YouTube:

8 Likes

Just downloaded FC 0.17 11740 and StepUp 6049. I have a few high density boards with high part counts (>800 pcs) and with previous revisions would load the board file and walk away while it grids through it. This new version is much faster. I had been using 4028. Everything looks much improved. Thanks again @maui

2 Likes

@aaron thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:
I developed this improvements because Jean-Marie told me that in his user cases there were some delays… I normally work with SMD boards, with little THT modules… So I wasn’t facing any big delay also with a lot of components… with many THT pads there was in fact a long loading time. Now it is 50-70 times faster in parsing the pads and board :smile:
Hierarchy is a great feature for STEP importing and exporting, so I wanted StepUp to be aligned to these new features and working at its best!

4 Likes