KiCad StepUp New exporter for 3D MCAD (feedbacks are welcome)

You need to check the path inside kicad_pcb file editing the footprint which has the 3d model:
Inductor Chocke TDK-Part.step

Ok here it is. The path is correct and the shape there is.

with the var you defined in FC kSU (third 3D folder)
${KICAD_USER_LIBRARIES_DIR}=“K:/KiCad/user_libraries/Tormy.Components/3D SHAPES”
this path is resulting in the double path;

You should have defined the path in kSU, as in kicad:
${KICAD_USER_LIBRARIES_DIR}=“K:/KiCad/user_libraries"

ok indeed it worked now. I was fooled by the default setting. I thought I had to make it identical.

now: all the shapes are in (thanks to your help) … but the footprints are still missing.

EDIT: I see that by clicking the button Load Footprint, it asks for a .kicad_mod file … that I haven’t clue where to find it and/or if I have to load N .kicad_mod.If I have to go to load each footprint each time is absurd. But it’s just my assumption here.

you are welcome

not having a test board (even a different board but with the same issue) it is difficult to analyze in detail

I’m preparing it (yesterday I didn’t have the required time) and I will upload it here

Important I edited my previous message. I added a statement about the .kicad_mod

Please here the PCB

MAUI.kicad_pcb (336.4 KB)

EDIT here the settings on FreeCAD

obviously this is not for loading all footprint in the board, but for loading a single footprint and a 3D model to check if they are correctly aligned.
(you may need to read kicadStepUp cheatsheets)

thanks for the board…
pads and tracks are just loaded fine if the board is not pre-loaded…

there is an issue when cutting the holes that is causing the deletion of some items in tracks and pads…
I’ll investigate

1 Like

Indeed I noticed few minutes ago: while it’s loading, the pads are appearing, then are removed into the final object.

I stumbled upon this your video

And I see the silkscreen is working perfectly up there.
However while inside FreeCAD everything is fine. When I import the exported .STEP into Fusion 360 I get strange result on the B side.

Here the export settings from FreeCAD

Side F

Side B

MAUI-B_Silkscreen.dxf (124.9 KB)
MAUI-F_Silkscreen.dxf (569.5 KB)

This could be an issue in reading step files in fusion360.
If you search on line you can reach some result with this problem.
STEP file is a quite complex format even for commercial sw.
Try to load your file with a different tool, i.e. CAD Assistant of OCC and see if the colors are fine… If so, the problem is on fusion side.

1 Like

I see … indeed here out Solid Edge 2024 … horrible.

in CAD Assitant is perfect

I don’t have sw, but I think there should be an option to load color from faces when loading a STEP file…
Other using kSU and sw didn’t have issue IIRC…
EDIT: you are using solidedge, not solidworks… sorry

1 Like

Note the “explosion” is a real great feature you have put. Since I make several video demos about how a device is assembled, this thing is making my day.

Note: I’m using Freecad only due-and-for your workbench :slight_smile:

It’s a pity there is not possibility to integrate it directly in KiCAD, to get immediately the results by using less CADs as possible :slight_smile:

Can’t wait pads are back, the representation will be outstanding.

I hope this can be useful to you to solve the issue with the footprints.

Surely you have already verified and/or noticed but ok …

I have made a screenshot and enhanced the contrast and what I see, is that the footprints seem there but they are buried or merged in some way with something else.

EDIT:

With another PCB I got them all :-o

How is it possible?

with this pcb edge-cuts, there is an issue in the kSU pcb sketch … it is going to be over-constrained (I’m not sure if this is a FC update different behavior …)
Anyway a fix has just been added…

2 Likes

yes it is working now :slight_smile: Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I want to inform you that on Fusion 360, it’s true there is a problem in the Design with the Side B. But when I switch to Rendering, the representation is perfect.
Here two screenshots:

Side F

Side B

2 Likes