KiCad StepUp New exporter for 3D MCAD (feedbacks are welcome)

I posted here in the first place to describe a general workflow to @gsocker as an answer to his question.
The other post i made today has the only purpose to give feedback to @maui since he asked for it. So i actually think its the right place, isn’t it?

I’ve updated StepUp WB adding the following features:

• allowing Opening or Importing a kicad_pcb file inside a FreeCAD file
  • generating uid for pcb & containers-
  • full support fo App::Part Links
  • full Hierarchy allowed for importing & assembling a pcb
  • pcb as solid instead of compsolid
  • multiple pcb allowed
  • apply Transparency option (from .wrl model materials)
  • added a warning message for GridOrigin missing on pcbnew file

Please update the WB and test if your issue is solved.

@maui
Yes, it does fix the issue. I was doing the equivalent of the UID additions using the part number. Multiple boards now import correctly with no additional steps.
Thanks

1 Like

Hi @maui
Not sure if I’m doing something wrong. Let me explain

In FC (0.19 appimage on Ubuntu), I imported the ver 5.1.6 .kicad_pcb file to work on making the enclosure.
Then, I decided that the push button switch needs to be 13mm tall instead of 5mm.
Went back to KiCad, in push button properties, 3D settings, I replaced the 5mm tall 3d model with the 13mm tall one.
But now I can’t figure out how to update this change in FC.
I tried various ways but nothing worked.
If I delete the .kicad_pcb file in FC project, and try importing it again, it opens up in a new FC project, instead of being added to the current one I’m working on.
So I end up with one FC project file containing the unfinished enclosure but without the .kicad_pcb and a second FC project file containing the updated .kicad_pcb file, but not the FC enclosure part.

Got any tips ?

Hi @Anool

In FC, instead of using ‘File Open’ menu, use ‘File Import’ menu… this will load the kicad_pcb inside the same active document you are working on.
Moreover, if you have changed only some model, you can just pull only those inside your FC document updating the design (but this requires a bit more work).

1 Like

use ‘File Import’ menu…

duh, facepalm !!!

pull only those inside your FC document updating the design (but this requires a bit more work).

I’d like to know how this works.

‘File Import’ feature for ksu has been added not so long time ago, before it was simply working as ‘File Open’; before the only way was to copy and paste the loaded pcb.

this is available through push-pull FC-KC collaboration.
If a fp has been changed in KC, you need to sync the 3D model with the Ref & TimeStamp in KC
some tips here:

Hi Maui
since you introduced me to this workbench, I’m using it. although I noticed that it doesn’t import the footprints from the kicad PCB file nor any 3D models of the used components.

So:
I click on “Load Board” and I import the KiCAD PCB and it returns hese errors.
I think it’ because it goes to check on C:\program files\kicad while everything is on K:\Kicad
How can I change it?

Moreover: each time it pops up the window that tells the suggested Import/Export STEP FreeCAD Preferences that I already set up as suggested.

here below the error message and the final result.

Version 10.20.3
FreeCAD 0.21.1

EDIT ok found. I added the new path on Preferences. it worked partially out. It’s not necessary to remove the default one. Just by adding as alternate, solved the adding of components. Still all the footprints are missing (except for one and I have not clue why)

here the one not found but there is:

Hi @tormyvancool

1. it is strange you don’t get the pads… Could you please share the kicad_pcb file (even in PM if required)?
  2. in your error log it seems you have a defined variable that is used in wrong mode
    ${KICAD_USER_LIBRARIES_DIR}=“K:/KiCad/user_libraries/Tormy.Components/3D SHAPES”
    but then your model has:
    ${KICAD_USER_LIBRARIES_DIR}/Tormy.Components/3D SHAPES/Inductor Chocke TDK-Part.step
    which would result in a wrong path:
    “K:/KiCad/user_libraries/Tormy.Components/3D SHAPES/Tormy.Components/3D SHAPES/Inductor Chocke TDK-Part.step”

hello Maui

I’m thinking how to send you the PCB file since it contains a project that shouldn’t be given in any way … I will find a way just please geve me time to think about.

About the variable. Here how I set it up in FreeCAD (the alternative paths were components can be found)

here how the variable is setup in KiCAD

This path is the correct path
“K:/KiCad/user_libraries/Tormy.Components/3D SHAPES/Tormy.Components/3D SHAPES/Inductor Chocke TDK-Part.step” the .STEP is correctly in it … but it seems it doesn’t find it

is the double inside path correct?

Tormy.Components/3D SHAPES/Tormy.Components/3D SHAPES/

Correct observation.

you’re right. the double is not correct. What’s causing this? I posted the screenshots out the settings on FreeCAD and the ones on KiCAD

You need to check the path inside kicad_pcb file editing the footprint which has the 3d model:
Inductor Chocke TDK-Part.step

Ok here it is. The path is correct and the shape there is.

with the var you defined in FC kSU (third 3D folder)
${KICAD_USER_LIBRARIES_DIR}=“K:/KiCad/user_libraries/Tormy.Components/3D SHAPES”
this path is resulting in the double path;

You should have defined the path in kSU, as in kicad:
${KICAD_USER_LIBRARIES_DIR}=“K:/KiCad/user_libraries"

ok indeed it worked now. I was fooled by the default setting. I thought I had to make it identical.

now: all the shapes are in (thanks to your help) … but the footprints are still missing.

EDIT: I see that by clicking the button Load Footprint, it asks for a .kicad_mod file … that I haven’t clue where to find it and/or if I have to load N .kicad_mod.If I have to go to load each footprint each time is absurd. But it’s just my assumption here.

you are welcome

not having a test board (even a different board but with the same issue) it is difficult to analyze in detail

I’m preparing it (yesterday I didn’t have the required time) and I will upload it here

Important I edited my previous message. I added a statement about the .kicad_mod

Please here the PCB

MAUI.kicad_pcb (336.4 KB)

EDIT here the settings on FreeCAD

obviously this is not for loading all footprint in the board, but for loading a single footprint and a 3D model to check if they are correctly aligned.
(you may need to read kicadStepUp cheatsheets)

thanks for the board…
pads and tracks are just loaded fine if the board is not pre-loaded…

there is an issue when cutting the holes that is causing the deletion of some items in tracks and pads…
I’ll investigate

1 Like

Indeed I noticed few minutes ago: while it’s loading, the pads are appearing, then are removed into the final object.