KiCad schematic stored the DNP symbol not annotated, is this right?

I have a resistor that I checked the “do not populate” (dnp yes) property
The schematics show it is annotated R82
But the file kicad_sch shows it as R?

The item found with grep is the right one since the value is 0R_LALA on both images.

Maybe you did the grep while eeschema still had the file open and the edits were not yet written out? Otherwise dunno.

I am not sure, but maybe not. However I am going to double check this.

Another guess (based on vaguely remembered discussion), is this a hierarchical sheet below the root sheet? If so, the reference may be held only in the root sheet file.

1 Like

This is a bit weird.

It looks like the schematic stores the files symbol(s) with the wrong (or a dummy) Reference.

Here are the references to my only 4 DNP parts. All of them refer the same R22

However the schematic shows the actual reference like this:

If I grep them by the real RefDes
I can see them and they are also close to the R22 that was found before.

What @scandey said above.

Is this a question? If this is a question… this is on a hierarchical sheet. But it could at least have a generic refdes or nothing instead of something that is already used somewhere. This looks confusing.

I do agree that it is confusing, there are some older forum posts /gitlab issues about this as well. I’m pretty sure all of the references (outside of the root sheet “instances” section) are arbitrary. Personally I think they should be R? or something to make it more obvious that they aren’t actually real, but at the moment the reference designator and units are often saved into non-root sheets as the most recent value.

Yeah the R? would be the right thing or empty since R? is also something that may confuse a bit.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.