Kicad Schematic editor auto changes?

I’ve made my own library components and footprints in KiCad a few times but for some reason when I make a custom part in the schematic editor it looks great, I save it, then I go into my schematic to add the part and it’s completely changed from the way I made it. This has happened three times in a row and I can’t figure out why.

The pins get re-arranged and a mux, filter, and some other parts have been added without me ever having put them in. Can anyone tell me why this might happen? I’m baffled.

Here is the end result (when it has added parts and the pins have moved):
24%20PM

Obviously that doesn’t actually happen. Either you are loading components from the library and not your own or this post is simply spam.

Thanks for your reply. Believe it or not I don’t get my kicks out of trolling people on Kicad forums :slight_smile: Feel free to look at my past posts, but I do like your choice for username. If it really comes down to it I could take a video of my screen.

I just tried rebuilding it and it happened again. I’m sure it’s my own doing but I still don’t know how to fix it. I will post multiple pictures in a few posts.

Here is what my part looks like in the schematic editor (it looks correct):

When I go into my schematic it still looks correct when I go to add the part:

But when I select the part it looks like this:
pic%2014

Is the MSGEQ7 a part of the standard library? Perhaps because the part I made and this part have the same component name KiCad automatically selects the on in the standard library by default (if it is in the library)? I didn’t check to see if it was already included.

Changed the name of the part I made to something different and looks like the problem I was having was a name conflict so it is now solved :slight_smile:

You discovered it yourself but here a bit more details about the problem.
In kicad version 4 symbol names must either be unique over all libraries or you need to take care off library priority.
More details in this old post of mine: (Click the link [the title] or the arrow in the top right corner to see the full post including screenshots)

This problem is fixed in kicad version 5 as it now stores the library name in addition to the symbol name in the schematic. This of course means that transitioning from version 4 to version 5 needs to add the library names to the schematic. The process responsible for that is called remapping.

2 Likes

Thank you! I didn’t even know KiCad V5 was out, looks like it was released in July.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.