Kicad on tablet and external SSD over WLAN

HI,
I would like to run Kicad on a tablet but install it on an external SSD which is connected over WLAN. The reason behind it is that I want to be able to access projects on different locations. The diskspace on the tablet however is to small. I have already tried but Kicad does not seam to start.
Any idaeas what I could do?

KiCad isn’t designed for tablets or touch UI at all.

1 Like

And tablets usually have ARM processors and without full OpenGL support (only ES). People have tried to get it running on Raspberry Pi which has similar hw than a typical tablet, but there hasn’t been much success.

EDIT: at least you should give much more techical information about your system. Hw, OS etc.

1 Like

is there a viewer for schematic and pcb available? This would be sufficient.

You mean for KiCad native files? I don’t think so, although I may be wrong.

https://eyrie.io/ works pretty well for pcbs, don’t know about schematics.

Depending on usecase this could also be useful Interactive Html Bom Plugin for KiCad 5.0

1 Like

You could also try https://www.rollapp.com/app/kicad

Honestly designing like that sounds terrible though. IBom is fantastic as a reference during assembly.

With a few mouseclicks you can make PDF files of schematics an PCB layers.
Also: Don’t overlook a simple piece of flattened dead tree carcass to print your schematic on for review. You can also make notes on it with some archaic utility called a “pen”.
These sheets are a bit flimsy though. you can put it on the surface of your tablet to have a flat back ground for making notes :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your comments.
I thing I found the problem: The OS is XP not W7 (as I said before). After uninstalling all KiCad and then installing latest version of Kicad 4, Kicad 4 worked. Then I tried to “upgrade” to latest version of Kicad 5. During installation I got a message from Firefox, which indicated a security problem. Is there a simple work around? If not I will upgrade to W7.

I tried to print a .pdf which would do the job, but when I selected to scale to pagesize, printing was stil at scale 1:1.

KiCad V5 has quite a lot of improvements over KiCad V4, and I would not want to go back.
They also use different sets of libraries and …

XP is pretty obsolete.
Have you ever considered installing a Linux distribution on your tablet?
Linux distributions are Open source & Free (as in Freedom).
Mint is a pretty decent choice for beginners:
https://linuxmint.com/download.php

If you’re curious but not commited then you can simply download an image, put it on a USB stick and boot from the USB stick (if your computer supports it)

There are a few different ways to generate a .pdf.

Eeschema / File / Plot / Output Format : Pdf
Eeschema / File / Print

On my Linux box this second option has “printer driver” that prints to a pdf file instead of to a printer (This probably is not a part of KiCad, but an external program). On Winoze you may have to install this as a separate program.

… and these will probably works slightly differently in KiCad V4 and V5.
You can also use .svg as output format, and view in any picture viewer or web browser.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.