Kicad on OSX 11 Big Sur-Doesn't work

Is anyone able to get Kicad to work on Big Sur OSX11? I can get the Kicad folder to download to the application folder, but it won’t download to the application support folder. If I open the program, it is looking for some type of global library folder. I have to force quit the program to get out of it. I tried to drag to the application folder which it did download, but still doesn’t work.

I got it to install just exactly like in Catalina: download disk image, mount it (double click) and then drag the KiCad folders to Applications and Application Support (follow the arrows). After that you can open KiCad from the Applications Folder.

Mine just installed with no issue.
Try creating a new user on imac, then install there, less to go wrong typically )

That’s the problem, the Application Support (follow the arrows) won’t load, it keeps going back against the arrows (won’t stay). Then when I open the program it comes up with a dialogue that says something about global library and three choices which the recommended one is grayed out and I can’t chose. Then I can’t get out of the program.

Force quit the program, uninstalled, reinstalled, put the bottom Kicad icon into the application support folder on the MAC manually. Opened the program, went to create new, add component, there is no components to choose from, I am guessing there is no library, stuck.

Perhaps useless for me to post this but, perhaps may help…

I recently updated to Kicad 5.1.7 and had difficulty until using the .DMG from the link shown below…

(macOS Sierra 10.12.8 I won’t have anything to do with newer versions - several programs were unhappy…)

Ensure your folders have Read and Write access…

Thanks for the reply, no sure what you are trying to tell me? “Ensure your folders have Read and Write access” how do I check that?

Right-Click the Folder of interest, select “Get_Info”

Click the Lock icon at lower Right to get access to change permissions…

Bare in mind - from my experience, use only DMG’s for installing App’s

Thanks, I went to the folder “application support Kicad” set all users to read/write, still doesn’t work. There is no component library in the Kicad program. Like I have mentioned before when I try move the bottom Kicad icon to the the right following the arrow to the application support icon it just springs back to the left. It won’t install. Just doesn’t work right.

There are at least Two “Application Support” folders on a Mac.

1. One in the Hard-Drive’s Library
  2. One in your User/Name’s Library

Generally, never a need to mess with the one in the Hard-Drive. The “Application Support” folder in the install panel should place it into the Hard-Drive’s Library Application Support"
Screenshot below of mine…

How a user sets up their system and log’s in can have an Access and Folder/App placement effect.
Difficult to solve your problem from my desk… but, I suggest:

[EDIT: Added info…]
You should have seen a prompt/message informing you of not being able to install… There is a need to Approve it. Done via the Mac’s pref’s>security panel (screenshot) ‘Allow apps downloaded from:’

I’m not sure what you mean by

“Component…” If you mean parts (resistors, capacitors…etc) those are not called components and there’s a bit of homework to do regarding Kicad’s ‘parts’, especially about how and where the files are placed and the Build Paths…

So which support folder should kicad be in? User or hard drive, I have manually tried both, no go on either. I did see that screen when I first down loaded the DMG, said ok to down load, which it did. The program loads fine but not the library. No library shows up in the main program , no matter what application support folder it’s in User or Hard drive.

Re dragging the App Support folder - for me, it was placed into the Hard-Drive’s Lib/App support. I did Not do anything special.

Generally, when I install an App not from Apple’s Store, I get a message saying couldn’t install. I click OK and Immediately I open the system pref’s and click Security panel.

At that point, the bottom section of the Security panel is filled in with the Kicad App’s name and I click “Open”.

Won’t drag springs back, won’t download. On the components, I say it’s a component, but I guess they call it symbol, It says “choose symbol, no symbols loaded” in the symbol window.

I guess about all I can say is:

1. Ensure you have a good DMG (I grab it from CERN - see below)
  2. No idea about your system and Folders but, sounds like aside from possible folder issue, your Build Paths are not setup… Open Kicad and set the Paths… Some homework may be needed…

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 11.07.35 AM

“Symbol” is a more precise term referring to the graphics and function in the schematic drawing. “Component” may be used and has been used in KiCad for the same entity, but it may refer also to a physical object, at least partly synonymous to “part”, made by a manufacturer and sold by a distributor, soldered or attached to the physical PCB. Nowadays KiCad uses only “symbol” for an item in a schematic. It doesn’t automatically include a “footprint” which is roughly the same as “land pattern”, graphics used for the physical PCB board.

I grabbed it from OSDN, maybe that the problem, it says North America. Maybe I should try CERN.
I’ll check build paths, never had seen them before, you would think that they would be set from default? None of the intro videos on using kicad mention this that i have seen, after two days trying to get this program to work, I am pretty frustrated. On my old iMac, which used a earlier version of Kicad, it just worked, I can’t install this newer version of kicad on it, not supported any longer.

I looked at my notes and, Yes! I had trouble with download from North America!! CERN was no problem…

This is what I get.

The Symbols/Modules…etc are in the App support so, if you can’t drag it with success, I think you have a Bad DMG… I trust CERN - the smartest people on the planet (next to me, of course)