Kicad on Linux - where are the KiCad processes in process list?

I use this version (built from source):

Application: kicad
Version: (2017-11-13 revision d98fc85)-master, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.2
    libcurl/7.35.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1f zlib/1.2.8 libidn/1.28 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 4.4.0-104-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.2 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24
    Boost: 1.54.0
    Curl: 7.35.0
    Compiler: GCC 4.8.4 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=OFF

So, I just noticed something. If I remember correctly, some years ago each software component of KiCad, such as eeschema and pcbnew, were their own separate programs. In fact, they likely still are, because at the location where I have the kicad executable (say, /path/to/kicad/usr/local/bin/), I also have pcbnew and eeschema executables.

So, I wanted to find out what is the executable name of Symbol Library Editor; I started KiCad, and had eeschema, pcbnew and Symbol Library Editor started. Then I wanted to look at the process list, to hopefully figure out the name of the executable, but strangely, I get this:

$ ps axf | grep -i kicad
 3216 pts/8    S+     0:00  |       \_ bash /path/to/kicad/run_kicad.sh
 3220 pts/8    Sl+   15:10  |           \_ /path/to/kicad/usr/local/bin/kicad
 6470 pts/11   S+     0:00  |       \_ grep --color=tty -i kicad
$ ps axf | grep -i pcbnew
 6477 pts/11   S+     0:00  |       \_ grep --color=tty -i pcbnew
$ ps axf | grep -i eeschema
 6481 pts/11   S+     0:00  |       \_ grep --color=tty -i eeschema

In other words, kicad is shown in process list - but neither eeschema nor pcbnew are, even I have their windows started from kicad and running at the time of inspecting the process list ?!

Could anyone confirm for me, is this what I’m supposed to be seeing - and how come I don’t see neither eeschema nor pcbnew in the process list, even if I can clearly see their windows running (and I know they otherwise have separate executables with those names)?!

If invoked from the KiCad project window, eeschema, pcbnew etc now run inside a single process. However, those programs are also built into standalone executables which can be run as a separate process.

2 Likes

Thanks, @bobc :

I see - thanks for confirming this!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.