KiCAD offical DIN41612 connectors (Mechanical_Sockets) have the wrong pin order

(KiCAD Windows 4.02 and 4.05)

I developed a Eurocard board and ordered 10 assembled, unfortunately I have a bad surprise checking first board:

This module: [Mechanical_Sockets:Socket_DIN41612-CaseC1-AC-Male-64Pin-2rows

has two errors, one detected by ERC check for pin [24a] missing the ‘a’ in the name, and already corrected before Gerber generation, but the second error is very big :-((

The two rows ‘a’ and ‘c’ are completely in wrong position (mirrored), my guilt is that of not being careful enough and mistrustful, now I have a heavy work to do to recover these cards, sigh…

I don’t know if other DIN41612 connectors layout have similar problems.

1 Like

You are correct. These seem to be wrong. (at least if you compare them to this datasheet)

So what do we do now?
I would suggest you fork the repository, fix them and make a pull request.
(It is open source after all. So you are able to fix mistakes made by others.)

And if you are already at it: Make them conform with the kicad library convention aswell.
The next KLC will be similar to this unpublished version:

I made the title of this conversation more clear.

It looks to me like all the DIN41612 male connectors (right angle) in that library are incorrect. Row a should always be closest to the connector body. I don’t know if there are variations within DIN41612.

The place to report a problem with this library is

Row A of a right angle DIN 41612 is always nearest the edge of the board.
You have to be careful about pin 1 with reverse or inverse DIN, I got caught out with some back to back cards long ago

Does anyone have a copy of the DIN41612 spec by any chance?

Before I leap in and change things I thought I better check the spec!

Got it here (Norm-Database of University, Perinorm).

Row a is indeed row c.

Some nice info:
Types B, C, D, E, F, G and H can be connected with the corresponding Types Q, R, S, T, U, V.
Rows are in order, columns are inverse (contacts 1,2, … 23 of type C are connected with 32, 31, …, 1 of type R)

Thanks for confirming that. I have raised several issues on the github.

I ran the python script to check the footprints, and there are several failures relating to KLC.

Fixing the pin 24 and row order is quite easy, conforming to KLC is a lot more time consuming. Some of the issues may be fixed by the script, I need to install Python 3 to get that to work I think. I gave an error on Python2.7.