Kicad not running on ubuntu 20.04 : Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected

After I install kicad as in this link provided, I get this error on my terminal

Fatal Error: Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected.
The library used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1011,wx containers,compatible with 2.8),
and wxCore used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1013,wx containers,compatible with 2.8).
Aborted (core dumped)

Could anyone guide me as to how to resolve this issue?

Are you sure your system is up to date and all the software sources are correctly configured? KiCad v5.1.7 from the official KiCad PPA works well with Ubuntu derivatives.

Double check the PPA configuration. It has been changed recently. I just had some problem and removed the old kicad PPAs and re-added the official one. Now it works on Kubuntu.

If everything seems to be OK, check which wxgtk packages you have installed (apt search wxgtk). Insert the output here.

Shouldn’t apt take care of installing the correct dependencies? It might be that the package does not correctly define this dependency or that kicads check is resulting in false positives.

I have verified that my system is up to date and I got no issues with any configuration while updating it. I also removed the old kicad PPAs and re-added the official ones. After running apt search wxgtk, i get this

Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
libwxgtk-media3.0-gtk3-0v5/focal 3.0.4+dfsg-15build1 amd64
  wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (GTK 3 media library runtime)

libwxgtk-media3.0-gtk3-dev/focal 3.0.4+dfsg-15build1 amd64
  wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (GTK 3 media library development)

libwxgtk-webview3.0-gtk3-0v5/focal 3.0.4+dfsg-15build1 amd64
  wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (GTK 3 webview library runtime)

libwxgtk-webview3.0-gtk3-dev/focal 3.0.4+dfsg-15build1 amd64
  wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (GTK 3 webview library development)

libwxgtk3.0-0v5/now 3.0.4+dfsg-3 amd64 [installed,local]
  wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (GTK+ runtime)

libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-0v5/focal,now 3.0.4+dfsg-15build1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
  wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (GTK 3 runtime)

libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev/focal,now 3.0.4+dfsg-15build1 amd64 [installed]
  wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (GTK 3 development)

python-wxgtk-media3.0/focal 3.0.2.0+dfsg-8build1 amd64
  Python interface to the wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (wx.media)

python-wxgtk-webview3.0/focal 3.0.2.0+dfsg-8build1 amd64
  Python interface to the wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (wx.html2)

python-wxgtk3.0/focal,now 3.0.2.0+dfsg-8build1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
  Python interface to the wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit

python-wxgtk3.0-dev/focal,focal,now 3.0.2.0+dfsg-8build1 all [installed]
  Development files for wxPython

python3-wxgtk-media4.0/focal 4.0.7+dfsg-2build1 amd64
  Python 3 interface to the wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (wx.media)

python3-wxgtk-webview4.0/focal 4.0.7+dfsg-2build1 amd64
  Python 3 interface to the wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (wx.html2)

python3-wxgtk4.0/focal,now 4.0.7+dfsg-2build1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
  Python 3 interface to the wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit

Yes, apt must take care of such things. But I dont know what is the issue, not able to figure it out

I don’t find anything suspicious about the installed packages. What does ldd /usr/bin/kicad say? (The lines mentioning libwx may be enough.)

libwx_gtk3u_aui-3.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwx_gtk3u_aui-3.0.so.0 (0x00007f6d157fa000)
	libwx_gtk3u_adv-3.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwx_gtk3u_adv-3.0.so.0 (0x00007f6d1560d000)
	libwx_gtk3u_html-3.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwx_gtk3u_html-3.0.so.0 (0x00007f6d1552b000)
	libwx_gtk3u_core-3.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwx_gtk3u_core-3.0.so.0 (0x00007f6d14ea7000)
	libwx_baseu_net-3.0.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libwx_baseu_net-3.0.so.0 (0x00007f6d14c62000)
	libwx_baseu-3.0.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libwx_baseu-3.0.so.0 (0x00007f6d147d1000)

These are suspicious, they shouldn’t point to /usr/local, they should be in the same place than the other ones. Have you compiled something yourself sometime?

1 Like

Not that I remember of… So any suggestions on the method of removing this?
But I asked one of my friends to try this on their laptop and they have those two objects…

See what package if any, supplied those files:

dpkg -S /usr/local/lib/libwx_baseu_net-3.0.so.0 /usr/local/lib/libwx_baseu-3.0.so.0

Generally official packages don’t install in /usr/local. Maybe it came from a rogue package?

That’s right, a clean (L)Ubuntu installation doesn’t have anything in /usr/local, they have come by some other way than the normal distro installation process, either some other way of packaging or some change in some configuration. Maybe you have installed a non .deb package which has its own install script. You can guess by looking what’s in /usr/local/bin.

If there’s nothing important in /usr/local and no package points to those files, you can safely delete everything there. But I’m not responsible if something gets broken.

I get this as the output

dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /usr/local/lib/libwx_baseu_net-3.0.so.0
dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /usr/local/lib/libwx_baseu-3.0.so.0

I have these files in /usr/local/bin :

arduino  pylupdate5  pyrcc5  pyuic5  wx-config  wxrc  wxrc-3.0

I see three files related to wx…

You should know yourself why they are there.

wx-config can be installed through apt. Maybe you don’t need them in /usr/local. But it’s up to you. You can also manipulate the dynamic linker library path order, but I don’t know what would be the best way to deal with that. See for example man ldconfig and man ld.so.

Ok , so I forcefully uninstalled all the files related to wxWidgets, removed the wx related files in /usr/local/bin and ran sudo ldconfig as provided in this link. Now Kicad is working on my system. Thanks for the support !!

It looks like you compiled wxWidgets at some point. Did someone put some forgetfulness drug in your beer sometime ago? :wink:

It may be some conspiracy, maybe some gas spread around. The same thing has happened to me. I blamed other people for the symptoms in the computer. Basic hybrid operations.

:sweat_smile: dunno, maybe… :joy:

Well I’m not immune to forgetfulness either. Some time ago I couldn’t get handbrake-cli (a DVD ripper) to work so I built from source. Several hours (it has lots of dependencies) later I tried the command and it still didn’t work. Then I realised I had an old executable in /usr/local/bin from 7 or 8 years ago. :exploding_head:

You should have looked at the date on the files, that might have given you a clue to when they were installed.

I had installed it on July of this year :sweat_smile: … effects of WFH :joy: