KiCad [nighly/opengl test version involved] Crashed Tonight

HAD MY FIRST ACTUAL KiCAD crash with the nightly I was using.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: kicad.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 00000000
Fault Module Name: _pcbnew.kiface
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000915ecf
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 85d6
Additional Information 2: 85d6fe8791703d0f791d362b22538f98
Additional Information 3: 8c60
Additional Information 4: 8c60bf773571090a1979187b1eeda3c5

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Just INFO. I’ve NEVER had KiCad crash before trying out the OGL TEST nightly.

I have (had?) an EXTREMELY stable Win 7 installation, that I have not had any issues with for as long as I can recall.

It IS getting about that point in time that I normally “wipe and re-install” Windoze on the hard drive. But, I NEVER before had this version of KiCad crash… and all of my other programs are operating normally.

How much does KiCad dork with the Windoze Registry?

I’m not aware of it touching the Registry at all…could be wrong though.

Adding ogltest didn’t modify any code in the rest of KiCad, and ogltest doesn’t modify any system settings. It just runs through roughly the same OpenGL startup procedure that pcbnew uses, and outputs some information as it does.

Do you know which was the last build you used before that?

1 Like

So, I have a CRASH that I have never had with ANY of the builds before ( nightly/stable ) NEVER a crash.

1. It was a FLUKE … probably not.

2. I WAS doing something different.

I DID, on Windoze, open Eeschema and PcbNew side by side; and clicked to work out the symbols to parts on both Windoze; something I had NOT done before.

I don’t have the answer, I only have problems! I do try to be of some help though.

I hope you find the issue.

Alrighty, I thought I had copied and pasted the information… where’d it go?

So, I downloaded a nightly:
Application: kicad
Version: (2016-12-22 revision d365dc5)-makepkg, release build

And, it FIXED a couple of issues that were causing me problems. Then, stable 4.0.5 came out, and it had the same problems/bugs/issues/lack of neat features that the nightly had. So, I reverted back to that above nightly.

(I might be a little off on the timing of releases. I have NOT tried 4.0.6 as I’m working on important design).

Then I installed the TEST nightly; since everyone else is doing awesome work on this software I figured that it was the right thing to do to try to also help.

The TEST nightly crashed 3 times on me when selecting the layers.

After selecting the legacy canvas, then the OGL canvas stopped crashing.

Re-installed the nightly that I have saved locally, ^^^ same version as above ^^^, the “Wizard Footprint” feature had missing Python scripts that I had been making great use of.

Did the uninstall mentioned in that bug report.

Then RE-RE-installed the nightly.

Then had the FIRST crash I have had with that nightly in over 4 months, using the software almost daily; and some days for very long periods of time (up to 16 hours).

This same nightly was put on ~5 persons (vastly different) laptops while at the maker space. None of those members have complained about crashing, but I can ask explicitly next week.

There are 2 major differences in my use of the software prior to using it “Rock Stable”.

1. The first is changing between revisions. My versions went forward and back and forward again.

2. My extended use of OGL to highlight the nets between Eeschmea and PcbNew. I NEVER had PcbNew crash when it was the only open window. Maybe I just got lucky?

Anyways, over 3 months without a single crash, and thing bang-gone, something behind what I did appears to be the likely culprit… or it was just dumb luck… LOL… trying to help but I know how these things are.