Kicad Metric system

Hello,

I’ve finally made the decision to go KiCAD. It amazes me how vivid the KiCAD community is.
As a new KiCAD user I’m having a lot of trouble trying to get everything into Metric. By that I mean metric grid, metric schematics and part/footprint editor. I’ve searched the Forum but can’t really get a clear answer to this.

I see there is a button on the left side of the EEschematics tab that says “MM” but I don’t get the feeling that everything is in MM. I’m a bit confused. Is there a way to ensure I have all settings of all paramters to metric?

Q2: Within Cadence Allegro I can change the thickness of the board, in the stackup manager. Does KiCAD have a Stackup manager?

Thank you for the effort.

For legacy reasons EEschema is in mills. Most of the parts in the library are made to work on that grid. It doesn’t matter what the units are in the schematic drawing portion is though. Think of it as unitless and life is easier. I think the default grid is 50. I only change to position the fonts. Things get exasperating if you start placing symbols without the grid set to 50.

2 Likes

In V5.1.x
Pcbnew-File-Board Setup-Layers-PCB thickness

V6 will be more capable, but I recommend beginners stick to the release version

1 Like

Thank you for answers. This helped a lot!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.