Kicad library problem with transistor

In other words, you where offered help and you turned it down but you still complain. No steps to the helpful direction. How did this worked for you? Complaining over and over again is not helpful either.

Sorry, but Jonathan_Haas and I supplied the correct answer, almost at the same time.
You contributed nothing.
Over and out from here. Troll somewhere else.

I am not the one trolling here. You fail to see the bigger picture i think.

But lets get serious since your comment was necessary and helpful, how can you tell if anyone cares?
Its like you care and we don’t, is it really the case?

OK. Deep breath here guys. We are all hear to help further Kicad or our understanding of it. English may be the default language here but it may not even be in the majority when it comes to be native speakers. Gotta let a few words here and their roll off you back because they might actually be well intended. But basically, ANYONE should ask themselves if what they are typing furthers the understanding of the threads purpose.

Have you ever had a need to change more than one symbol that you are just thinking about it at the moment? It had never happened to me.

If I need to replace a symbol at schematic I always delete one and insert a new one and give it the reference of that old one (instead of editing it manually in such case it is enough to run Annotate). Then I just update PCB by references.

Designing PCB you have to know what you are doing. Updating PCB you simply have to decide if this time you update by timestamps or by references.

What is the correct way to replace symbols? (I don’t have V6 here to experiment now).
It really have no side effects?
I am asking seriously as I have never tried the other way then deleting and inserting. May be it is habit after using Protel 3 where for example changing the resistors value to other one the old footprint always left. For example placing the resistor 1k (that had 0603 footprint) and replacing its value by 1k_4 (I used _4 in name to identify 0402 resistors) the end effect was that I had in BOM 1k with 0402 footprint and at PCB I had 0603 footprint. After one such error I decided to never ever replace symbols other way then just by deleting one and inserting the new one and such error never happened again.
Do changing the symbol in ‘correct way’ (I don’t know it) takes care of it?

Agree. There is nothing wrong in method suggested by ML9104.

My English must be really terrible because I can’t find a post in which help for ML9104 was offered

No, you still have to change the footprint attached to the edited symbol and then update the PCB from the Schematic.

My preference is to go into Symbol Properties and alter the footprint first, then Change Symbol through the Symbol Properties rather than through Edit, then update PCB.
Using this method is a prompt to me to never forget to change the footprint.

It wasn’t really an offer of help. It was more a suggestion to use Edit / Change Symbols instead of delete and insert.

Yes, but this ID vs. reference thing is already a source of confusion for some novices. The statement “has no unwanted side effects” for delete->replace procedure is just plain wrong for the normal basic workflow. This sidetracked discussion would have been needless if that statement wasn’t made.

Deleting and replacing isn’t of course “wrong” per se as long as you know what you are doing, and it doesn’t hurt to learn the ID vs. reference system at the same time because it’s needed anyway at some point when using KiCad for more than trivial things. But it’s very misleading to just tell to delete and replace and claim it doesn’t have side effects.

And for me it is the side effect I want to avoid. When during process there is a state when right (new) symbol is still connected with wrong (old) footprint for me it is forbidden state. If you forget to do the second step of replacing process you will get the wrong situation that may be not noticed and PCB with that error ordered. My rule is to always have symbols connected with right footprints (as they are attached to in my database).

My method is to always just delete symbol and insert the new one. I have right footprint linked to each symbol and never change it. If I want to use the same IC in another footprint I copy that symbol in library under little different name and link right footprint to it. Then at schematic I replace old symbol with new one (by deleting and inserting).

I use almost exclusively the symbol changer.
In my personal libraries I have discreet symbols for each component.
When I change the symbol all its characteristics are changed.
With this method it is very fast to fix old projects.
Furthermore, sometimes when I create a new scheme I use for example only one type of resistance and then once drawn I change the various symbols of the resistances with the correct values.
I find this procedure faster than placing a component with a different value for each resistor.
Furthermore, in doing so I divide the problem of drawing a scheme with the work of assigning correct values to the components.

I hope I explained myself well.

Understandable.
Changing symbols usually is a result of a design problem, so that problem is often a distraction from the lesser task of associating the correct footprint… been there, done that.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.