KiCad Invisible PCB

So, I am not 100% sure what caused this but though I would ask if anyone else has seen it happen…

The only thing that was visible in the 3D view was part of the vias, silkscreen and other text…the board and all components were not rendered.

If I set it to raytrace it would work correctly so pretty sure it was OpenGL issue of some sort… I changed some settings the control panel for my WX3200 (iGPU is Intel UHD 630) such as turning of the shader cache etc, and different texture filtering levels etc… but it didn’t correct itself untill unplugging the laptop then plugging it back in from power and restarting KiCad…now it reders correctly on both GPUs… very strange.

It’s pretty obvious when switching between GPUS…the Intel does 200-500fps, and the WX3200 just goes to 400-INF.

Do you mean like this?

The 3D viewer can turn different features on and off, just look in Menu:Preferences/Display Options. Here are this display options for the above screenshot:
2019-09-20%2015_06_28-3D%20Display%20Options

Notice, the only thing selected is the Silkscreen layer (Apparently you can’t turn off pads (I only have THT pads in this particular board), traces, and board outline.
EDIT: Never mind… If realistic mode is turned on, the board outline is hidden (and all the pads and traces are the same gold color).

But, if I turn mostly everything back on like this:
2019-09-20%2015_07_03-3D%20Display%20Options

Then I see everything again, like this:

I have the soldermask colored purple in my 3D viewer because I most often use OSHPark (not a requirement, but if I’m getting a purple board I want to see a purple rendering), I don’ have a 3D model on this board for the 3-pin Phoenix connector at J1 because I hadn’t done what I did for R2. The multi-turn pot at R2 is all gray because I downloaded that model from Bournes, the manufacturer, and haven’t put the time into coloring it through FreeCAD, so the model is just a plain non-colored STEP file. All the other 3D models came with KiCad v5.1.4 (the version that I just took those snapshots with).

1 Like

No…definitely not unfortunately… since all those check boxes were enabled. I also tried toggling them to no avail. Traces weren’t being drawn at all.

Also like I said I could swtich to ray tracing and it would render perfectly… and if you check the options for rendering are mostly carried over between OpenGL and Raytracing.

To me a little more specific only the board edges were showing at all and maybe the pad or mask where the vias are,the via column itself was also invisible I believe… as well as some text on the board was rendering. If this recurs I’ll get a screenshot since…that will be better than my rambling on about this lol.

I was originally on the stock dell driver for the WX3200 perhaps there was a bug…and am now on the Enterprise19.Q3 driver. I only updated after I got the issue to go away though by forcing the laptop to go from battery to on power mode.

I just had this recur yesterday, I fixed it by turning on and off the shader cache in Radeon Pro Settings.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.