Kicad installation on amazon ec2 server

I have installed the kicad on centos 7 operating system using
#yum install kicad
but not got external libraries for python like windows environment.

Here is the brief explaination:

I have installed the kicad tool on amazon linux2 server on cloud. I found “kicad and pcbnew” binaries in /usr/bin/ folder. But not found pbnew.py file in /usr/share/kicad folder. earlier with the previous installation on windows the python script is working fine and running because the pcbnew library we can add into code.

is centos really still on yum? I thought it had been replaced by dnf years ago.

Under all linux distros i used so far kicad uses the system python installation so there is no need to have a full python shipped with it. The python api is added to the pythonpath if you run the python console, a action plugin or a footprint wizard. External scripts might need to add it manually.
Post whatever “help -> about -> copy version info” gives you. It might be the case that your package is not compiled with some python related options (For example it could be compiled without python wx support disabling the python console and footprint wizard.)

CentOS is basically RHEL with references of RH removed, and dnf only appeared in RHEL/CentOS 8. Maybe you are thinking of Fedora.

1 Like

Which version of KiCad was installed? Can you please post the complete version information from the About dialog.

I am downloading it to aws linux 2 server

version is 4.0.2 and when I try to import pcbnew(python module) am getting “No module named pcbnew”
error. Tried installing pcbnew using PIP but had no luck.

Kicad V4.0.2? That’s pretty much unsupported at this point. You need to upgrade. If that’s the best you can do on your current OS then you need to do some serious rethinking if you want to run Kicad.

Maybe you should run Debian or Ubuntu on the EC2 instance instead.

1 Like

How can i download the latest kicad version on amazon linux 2 that is centos operating system.

You cannot. CentOS is not a supported OS for KiCad. It also does not provide community packaging.

For supported Linux operating systems, you can choose from Debian, Ubuntu, Arch or Fedora. Other distributions may work but will need to be compiled by the user.

2 Likes

Thank you Seth for the reply.

can you please share the step to do.

There are basically several ways to approach the task of compiling KiCad on some Linux distro.

First, you can dowload the source code and then install dependencies (development libraries) from the distribution’s own packages. Second, you can install and compile the distro’s source package for KiCad if that exists. Third, you can install and compile a source package from another distro if it happens to be compatible with your own distro.

But because Fedora, RedHat and CentOS are partly compatible, I would research another option first, namely using Fedora packages on CentOS. Search for “install fedora packages on centos”. I don’t know if it’s possible, but if it is, it’s the easiest option.

Please open a new topic with appropriate subject line if you want to compile KiCad on CentOS.

1 Like

It is not worth your time to build KiCAD from source code. Just relaunch your EC2 VM using a supported Linux distribution; both Debian and Ubuntu are easily available in EC2.

3 Likes

Thank you Kp for support and help

Thank you eelik for help and support

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.