KiCad How To Use Existing PCB Design For New Schematic

I am learning to use the new KiCad, I used KiCad a few years ago to design another CCA. I want to use an existing board to lay out the design. I have drawn the schematic, but cannot figure out how to get PCBnew to use the .kicad_pcb of the board to lay out the design. The board is the mini solderable breadboard from SparkFun, and I imported the EAGLE file to create the KiCad file.

I had an issue like this, where I wanted to build a stacking board to mate with an Adafruit GemmaM0 board. So I ended up pulling in the Eagle board files from Adafruit for the board, then deleting everything except the board outline and the mounting holes. I then started my design with the schematic and went from there.

If there’s a better way to pull in board outlines and mounting holes, I’d love to know too. It was a hacky thing in alot of ways. I didn’t have the tools/ability to accurately measure and find the hole centers since it was a round board.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.