Kicad Footprint assignment problem

When I try to assign the “Standard” footprint ( J6 in the attached screenshot) KiCAD selects a footprint which I created before for another project. I use 80.4 with OSX Sonoma 14.5

For me it looks like you just said something not asking any question.
May be I not see what is the problem as I have never went through footprint assign step (I assign footprint to each my symbol (in symbol editor) before I use it at schematic).

The question is where did the symbol for J6 come from, the standard library or your own library? Maybe you saved a copy in your own library while you were working on your previous project, you then reused that private symbol in this project and the footprint assignment from that symbol was carried over.

I forgot to mention in my text the error message at the bottom of the printscreen “library location:unknown”

So that probably means the symbol is not associated with a standard or personal library. Which suggests it might have been carried over when you reused an older schematic that contained a modified symbol. In any case you can reassociate the footprint with one from the standard library by changing the symbol to a standard one, look into the Change Symbol action.

KiCad does not search for libraries. The origin of the fault may be as retiredfeline suggests (copy from some older project), or something else. To fix it, you have to add the Connector_Jakob Strebel library (With both an underscore and a space in the name? That is Yuch!) to the library table, in … / Preferences / Manage Footprint Libraries. You can choose to either make it a global library, or a project specific library.**

If you are managing your own (personal) libraries, and you want to use schematic symbols and footprints in multiple projects, then making the libraries (both symbol and footprint) global makes the most sense.