KiCad fonts in Assign footprint

Hello. Where can I install fonts in KiCad -> Assign footprint. Suddenly, when it was necessary to finish the project, the font became inadequate. Where does the program get information from which fonts to show? How to change to standard? KiCad ver 5.0.0

Version 5.0 isn’t supported anymore, update to 5.1 if at all possible.

The problem is interesting. AFAIK KiCad doesn’t handle fonts at all, they just come through the wxWidgets UI library which gets them from the underlying UI library, in this case Windows. What’s your Windows version?

EDIT: CvPcb uses monospace or teletype font. I don’t know how it asks it from wxWidgets. In any case it’s probable that something has happened in your Windows.

1 Like

I digged a bit deeper. KiCad simply uses wxWidgets interface to get wxFONTFAMILY_MODERN. The wxWidgets UI library does the rest and asks it from Windows. If this has happened suddenly without updating KiCad, something must have happed in Windows, I don’t see any other possibility. It could be a bug in wxWidgets but it would still require something happening in Windows because wxWidgets comes bundled with KiCad and hasn’t changed.

And why in other modules all is Ok? For example module Symbol Library Browser…
Windows XP SP3. In OS I have no changes.

Because no other module uses monospaced font, of course.

I’m sorry, but with unsupported KiCad version AND dangerously unsupported and actively deprecated OS you’re most probably on your own.

But new version KiCad 5.1.5 not start in Windows XP. He is write that not find some kind library64.

I do not understand the developers. Why create problems out of the blue. It is enough to add various options of choice in the settings like in any other program.

The developers or KiCad didn’t create this problem. Even though it’s visible in KiCad, it actually has nothing to do with KiCad itself. I have never before heard about such a problem with KiCad or any program. And BTW, most programs don’t offer option to change the user interface font. Text rendering, yes (when it’s a word processor, html browser etc.) but not UI elements. The user interface font comes from the underlying system.

As I said, KiCad isn’t supported on Windows XP which is abandoned by Microsoft. If there happens to be some Windows expert in this forum who still uses XP maybe they can help. I still believe the problem comes from the system - something happened there. It wouldn’t be the first time someone hasn’t done anything to their system but the system does something. Especially WinXP.

1 Like

I deleted all the fonts in the Windows system folder. There are no inscriptions in either Windows or KiСad. But there is still text in Assign footprint module. Where does he come from?

Oops. Very bad Idea. Users should not even touch those system folders.
Just curious: Are you accessing Internet and typing on this forum from that same computer? It’s a recipy for disaster waiting to happen.

Do you have any interest in experimenting with some Linux distribution?
It’s Free.

LinuxMint is a nice distribution to begin with.
For old computers I recommend the XFCE version
https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

You do not even have to install it. You can just put it on a USB stick and then boot from the USB stick.

I see nothing wrong with this idea. This is an experiment. If they tell me that everything depends on the OS fonts, then when you delete all the fonts in the problem program, they still remain.

I print from the same computer and work from the same computer. I can still add never use antivirus. The maximum that I do is if I suspect an antivirus once a week. Since 2004, only a couple of times there have been some viruses. For several years now, in principle, I have never seen viruses on my computer. The main thing is to know and understand what you are downloading.

I have Mint standing on the disk in parallel. But I have it for programming sites. Learning Python and the Django Framework. Go now is not possible completely on Linux. Many programs of their own are written in VB6.0 and all of them will have to be rewritten under Linux, for example ERS VCRS is the training module for the neural network. And VB6.0 programs do not work even through a emulator Wine. And in C I’m not an expert. On C microcontrollers work for me. Therefore, so far me have to work on several OS.
I have never had any problems. Just only now.

You can not delete ALL fonts in windows. Some are hardcoded so that the system can yell at you for messing in system directory, if nothing else.

To solve your initial issue with fonts just download courier font from somewhere and install it, that should do it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.