KiCad Extras Installation Failure on MacOS

Dense enough to not be able to figure out what you meant by the GO selection yesterday. Duh.

No worries! A clean install might make your life easier.

So from Andy’s description, I understand kicad folder (lowercase k) gets put in user library -> Application Support.
Do you know if the Kicad Application folder (capital K) belongs in the User -> Constantine -> Applications folder, the standard /Applications folder, or it doesn’t make any difference? If I read the “Uninstalling” correctly, deleting the .apps from /Applications and not ~/Applications would be the standard folder.

Correct about the location of Application Support.
Yes, the usual Applications folder where you install any program.
Make sure your paths are correctly specified in KiCad. I had to manually enter new paths and delete the old ones (which were pointing to the wrong place).

When using the tutorial, I was hoping the reinstall would help me see something more than darkness when selecting “Run CvPCB to associate components and footprints”, then “View Selected Footprint”. Not. Don’t know if it makes any difference that I could not find the footprint Discret:R1 for R1 and R2. More reading/searching to do. BTW, thanks for all the replies&assistance.

It sounds like your footprint libraries are not loading. When you associate footprints with a KiCad schematic, you should see a list of available footprint libraries on the left, your parts list in the middle, and individual footprints in the right-hand column. If your not seeing this, then your footprint libraries are not loading correctly. If you are seeing this, then click on a footprint in the right-hand column and launch the footprint viewer. There, you should be able to see what the footprint looks like. Use the arrow key to quickly scroll through the list along with a visual reference – which aids tremendously in selecting the appropriate footprint.

My badd. I did not realize it was a single item footprint viewer, component by component. I now see that and how it works. Thanks. Now trying to get past a “track near pad” error while I was attempting to run my tutorial project wiring in Pcbnew. Learning curve for another day, Back to primary mission of creating an analog interface three wire auto-start between a Trace4024 Inverter and a Honda eu7000is generator; second, maximize all possible learning opportunities. Having simple and quality schematics will greatly facilitate engaging the build on social platforms. Thanks KiCad.

1 Like