Kicad doesent recognise library

I have footprint library directory in /usr/share/kicad/modules/ and its not showing up in the footprint browser as a library.

Were is the correct place for footprints?

just placing it in the right folder isn’t enough.
in PCBnew you also have to add the library in Preferences/Manage Footprint Libraries

2 Likes

Additionally: Do not place personal libs into a system folder. The next update will delete it!

1 Like

I placed them in non system paths I didn’t know updates clobber things in system paths.

This is a system path. Place personal libs into your home folder.

They aren’t in the system path.

I am confused now? Did you place your libs into /usr/share/kicad/modules or somewhere else?

Because whatever you think. That directory is a system directory. You need root rights to write to it for a reason. And the kicad installer will definitely overwrite it.

Its in a sub directory in home path.

I think you are looking for other question than above question. What is your actual issue? If it is about the footprint browser, then @Anders_Wallin give you the solution, which is to add your library path into the “Footprint Libraries table”… So I’m also confuse.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.