KiCad crashes when routing Diff pair

I was trying some differential pair functions, such as Skew and lenght matching, and my KiCad crashes even try to route those diff. pairs.
I’ll try to strip to strip all my work related stuff, but before that has anyone any advise, or what to do. This is an old Win 10/64 machine with 6GB of ram
Application: KiCad x64 on x64

Version: 7.0.5, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.2
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 6.0.0
FontConfig 2.14.1
libcurl/7.88.1-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.13

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19042), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: May 27 2023 02:48:13
wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.81.0
OCC: 7.6.3
Curl: 7.88.1-DEV
ngspice: 40
Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_SPICE=ON

1 Like

Try a testing build: Downloads | KiCad EDA

I think the testing build was better. It didn’t crash and it remembered my grid setting 0.1mm.

One odd thing. One pair does not show Full length of the net.

This a normal pair. I can see the full length

See if you can strip this project down to a minimum and still show this error. Then submit it to the issue tracker. You can mark it confidential so that only the developers can view it

Before you do that, check for extra overlapping tracks using the “show tracks in outline mode” function. If there are extra tracks, the length tuner won’t show a correct result.

I can confirm this issue. for me it crashed on a board where no other traces were present at this time. interestingly I was able to work around the crash:
while routing a long section and then pressing V to via to the bottom plane it crashed. once I confirmed the routing of the section before the vias and then only routed a short section with vias it did not crash anymore.

1 Like

We are aware of the bug. Fix is coming.

T.

4 Likes

Good work, thank you.

Some silly questions: How do you submit something to the issue tracker?

KiCad didn’t crash when I deleted all the extras. But I still don’t understand why the info on bottom of the screen shows different things about different pairs.
I’ll tease it a bit in the evening. I’ll try to tune and reroute diff. pairs. That would be a nice a feature set, if it worked.

Firstly you need to register an account on GitLab

Then From KiCad - Help - Report a Bug
This should open a “New Issue” window with all of your version details pre-filled

Add a meaningful title and details of your bug ABOVE the details

You can attach a file and have the option of marking the issue confidential

I found KiCad, but I can’t find Help. There are 89 KiCad related “Things” and also issues on left side of the screen.

I found KiCad, but what “Help” or "report a bug. Where do I go next?

Not in a web page. KiCad’s Help menu.

Thank you. I’ll try it (much) later today

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.